Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunroof cable removal. How do I remove the sliders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunroof cable removal. How do I remove the sliders?

For anyone who has done sunroof work, how does one go about removing an old slider?

Not the track. The slider ON the track. It has a cable attached to it, that leads to the front of the sunroof, and then is fitted into a small piece that makes it stick there for good. How do I remove the entire cable assembly?

I can get pictures up later...
    Reminiscing...

Here are some pictures of my problem...

The piece that can't be taken out for some damn reason.

Same cable.

Another view.

Top view...

Busted piece.

So does anyone know how to remove that cable?
    Reminiscing...

Comment

we'll have to look at it next time i'm down, i can't picture it. it went in there somehow though.

Comment

Bumping this, I'd like to get it done before it starts snowing. Anyone know how to remove it?
        Reminiscing...

Comment

Originally posted by M42Technik View Post
          Bumping this, I'd like to get it done before it starts snowing. Anyone know how to remove it?
          i don't know how to remove it completely, but to get the slider off of the track, crank the sunroof like its in the tilted position, and then it should be pretty easy to pull the slider towards the front of the car to get it off the track.

the only advice from there would be to try unscrewing/taking off as much stuff as possible til the other side is out of there. maybe removing the front headliner piece is necessary? i dunno.

this might help, too

hth,
          mikey
          My transaction feedback thread(s):

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=292029 :up:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=329392 :up:

Comment

The diagram you posted helped a little, seems like part 6 (that has the cable, leads to part 17) is what I'm trying to remove.

Seems that maybe if I get that part 6 out, I can fix it...I dunno...
            Reminiscing...

Comment

The diagram you posted helped a little, seems like part 6 (that has the cable, leads to part 17) is what I'm trying to remove.

Seems that maybe if I get that part 6 out, I can fix it...I dunno...
              #17 comes out by cranking the sunroof to the fully open position, and then taking off two little screws.

on my car it seems like the piece you're having trouble should just be held down by a couple screws...maybe it comes off via access beneath the front headliner piece?

are you just replacing the sliders? sorry that i can't be of more help, it's such an awkward thing to describe how to fix the sunroof.

Comment

Okay.

The big, long cable in the pictures. Thats what I'm trying get out. NOT the sliders, thats easy.

The long cable that ends up inside the sunroof pieces at the front of the car. The piece I took a very close up picture of. I dunno if I have to twist it, or what.

Again, the large cable. String. Rope. Wire.
                Reminiscing...

Comment

For anyone who has done sunroof work, how does one go about removing an old slider?

Not the track. The slider ON the track.
                  sorry dude, i'm just trying to help. :?

Comment

Agh, I see now. Sorry, I know you're helping, and it does help yes, but I'm just frustrated with it. Thanks anyways though, I do appreciate it.
                    Reminiscing...

Comment

I ripped mine out with force... now that I need to reinstall the panel I'm regretting it. I don't know if its going to be possible.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

have you taken down the roof lining? i believe the whole assembly comes out as one piece.

from there i think its easier to remove. I don't remember much, but i did take it out of my parts car.
                        IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Assuming this is an electric sunroof, then you need to drop the motor before you can pull the cables through. I'm not sure how a manual winder is attached, but I expect that will also need to be dropped to allow the cables to be pulled out.

Once the motor/winder is out of the way, you can just pull the cables out of the copper guide tubes.

Ian.

Comment

Ah so the winder has to be removed. all '91 318iS cars had manual sunroofs, or no sunroofs at all.

I will try this method by removing the winder itself, hopefully that will do it. Today is a nice day, might be able to do it...I'll post up pictures if I do.
                            Reminiscing...

Comment

Post any pictures? I'd love to know myself!
                              Recent Rebranding!!
                              Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
                              E30 SM62/S62
                              E30 M60 V8
                              E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
                              Instagram.com/garageaholic
                              Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Working...
                              X