Door Lock Issues - Video Included

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door Lock Issues - Video Included

I've just recently purchased my first E30, an Alpine White 1990 325is. After the year long search for the "perfect" E30 for me, I went from my 334,000+ mile '85 535i E28 to this. I bought the car two weeks ago and I've been looking to fix up minor issues that a 25 year old car brings and now I've been stopped by this. We recently changed the door handles on both sides (interior door handles) because they were a little floppy and the drivers side snapped off. Since that I've had some issues with the doors not unlocking correctly and the central locking going wacko.

Before I keep rambling, here is a video showing my current issue.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcuQzJZAsDw

'05 ZHP - Mystic Blue Metallic
    '90 325is - Alpine White
    '85 535i - Zinnoberrot

You didn't have this problem before changing the interior door handles? Disconnect the actuator from the rod and see if it's functioning. If it is, then it sounds like you have a mechanical issue in the door. If it doesn't then you have an electrical issue, a bad actuator and/or corroded pins in the door jamb connector.
    Last edited by reelizmpro; 05-07-2015, 01:12 PM.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
      You didn't have this problem before changing the interior door handles? Disconnect the actuator from the rod and see if it's functioning. If it is, then it sounds like you have a mechanical issue in the door. If it doesn't then you have an electrical issue, a bad actuator and/or corroded pins in the door jamb connector.
      I appreciate the response, I'll give those options a try tomorrow.

Thanks,

'90 325is - Alpine White
      '85 535i - Zinnoberrot

Comment

From the video, since you have to play with the key in the door to get it to unlock, it sounds like a mechanical issue but test the actuator anyway.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I had the same issue with the drivers side, and the culprit was an over-tightened #8.

Comment

Uh, since I posted this I haven't touched the door mechanics but we put the car up on four jack stands and now the door works perfectly, locks/unlocks, opens/closes normal. Maybe because there is no pressure on the doors?

'90 325is - Alpine White
            '85 535i - Zinnoberrot

Comment

Working...
            X