Fuel tank siphon tube repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel tank siphon tube repair

Has anyone had any experience fixing a clogged siphon tube on a late model 62L fuel tank? Mine only fills about half so I believe the siphon tube is clogged but I can't find any details on how to access our repair it without replacing the fuel tank. Looking to see if anyone has tried to repair this.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Project 325is

Transaction Feedback

Here is a a fix I have had success with.

1. Buy or scrounge a Bicycle cable. Needs to be a long one. Approx 3 feet if able.

2. Remove the fuel return line from connection at left underside quarter panel. Has a plastic cover. Find the fuel line with the return to tank. Remove the end from the engine. Leave the end connected to the tank.

3. Chuck the Bike cable into a variable speed drill. Fray the end a small amount so that it can auger thru the crap clogging the tube. Be aware that if its clogged bad you will need to keep spinning and jamming the cable in and out.

4. I believe there is a few turns in the siphon tube. Just keep sliding in and out while spinning and the cable will make the turns.

5. When the siphon is clear you will know it by how easy it slides in and out.

6. Wear a leather glove and grip the cable close to the entry into the fuel tank return line while you spin the cable.

7. Leave the rubber fuel line end connected to the tank. You will be working from the other end of the fuel line which you disconnected.

8. When you disconnect this fuel return line I highly recommend no ciggy smoking or hot muffler. Fuel will come out under pressure until it equalizes and empty's. Or you could relieve the pressure via Bentley method and obtain a appropriate collection containment vessel. This might alleviate coronary stoppage from carcinogenic anti drip-page individuals.

Its a 30 minute job but messy. The crap in the siphon will still reside inside your tank but I have seen no fuel related problems on multi vehicles for 2+ years with the crap in tank from the Siphon High Colonic.

You can drain the tank with I believe is a 5mm Hex in the drain plug. Might be worthwhile after a flush of fuel. A squirt of Kroil and a cleaning of the 5mm recess of the plug will be needed. The internal wrenching plugs will strip if stuck and filled with crap and you attempt to put a "Swede" action on a breaker bar.
    Last edited by Eddie Haskell; 06-28-2015, 12:32 PM. Reason: Proper Containment of Carconigenic Hazmat per EPA

Comment

Sounds like you are talking about the expansion tank? I'm thinking of the siphon tube between the two sides on the main tank.

Project 325is

Transaction Feedback

Comment

Nope- The return line accesses the siphon tube. Same principal that Boeing and Aviation fuel tanks operate with. They call this a Jet pump. As the fuel returns to the tank it causes a siphon effect to equalize between tanks. Siphon hose end sprayers with a jar of chemicals work same principal.

Comment

Ok cool. So when you say left side of car are you talking about passengers?

Project 325is

Transaction Feedback

Comment

No- Drivers side in front of rear wheel N. American market car.

Comment

Eddie, I know you posted you response to this a while ago, but I'm curious about your point below:

7. Leave the rubber fuel line end connected to the tank. You will be working from the other end of the fuel line which you disconnected.
              From the attached picture, are you suggesting I disconnect #2 and #10, and then thread the frayed wire through #10 into the fuel tank? Why not just disconnect #10 directly from the fuel tank and go right in?
              Attached Files
              Project 325is

Transaction Feedback

Comment

1989, e30, 325i, with duel (R/L) fuel level sender units. Gas gauge reads fuel in the tank, but the fuel gauge warning light is ON. Right side tank is full. Left side tank is empty. If I disconnect the 3-pin plug on the left side pump/level sender, the light goes out.

Looks like I have a clogged siphon tube in my fuel tank. I cleared the tube with the advise brake wire and can now I can easily run approx' 4-5 feet of wire through the tube.

No change.

Does the motor need to be running for the siphon to work? I assume, but please confirm.
                How long will it take for the two sides to equalize?

Anyone with feedback please!!

Comment

Whoopsie,.....the Right-side sending unit's float was stuck in the down position! Just order a replacememtn part # 16-14-1-152-266-BOE.

Comment

Working...
                  X