Alternator gave up the ghost at 223k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator gave up the ghost at 223k

Yup, the old boy had to go sometime. Died last night on the way to help a friend move an engine. The car started idling really low, and the motor was bouncing a lot. When I got to the house, I shut off the car and started it again, and it was trying REALLY hard to turn over, so I got out and checked the spark plugs and what not, got back in to start her up, and then nothing. Nothing but a click. We went back and grabbed a spare I had to get the car home, but I'm still going to buy a new one. I was just impressed that the stock one held on this long.

I'd just rebuild it, the brushes & regulator kit is pretty cheap compared to a new alt. and it should work fine.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Chris,

Who sells the rebuild kits for these alternators?
      Current Cars
      2014 M235i
      2009 R56 Cooper S
      1998 M3
      1997 M3

Comment

Eh, I just went ahead and ordered a new one. After my core, it will only cost me $120, and that's with a lifetime warranty. I'm still in the middle of trying to sort out my new house, unpacking, and digging out my garage, so I don't really have the time to bother with rebuilding it, it's just easier to buy a new one and drop it in.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveCN
          Chris,

Who sells the rebuild kits for these alternators?
          I guess it depends what alternator you have

the part #s for the brushes & regulators on the bosch 90a alt:
          VOLTAGE REGULATOR 12311726022
          CARBON BRUSH SET 12311727756

of course check to make sure these are correct for your build date and pariticular alternator brand..
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
            I guess it depends what alternator you have

the part #s for the brushes & regulators on the bosch 90a alt:
            VOLTAGE REGULATOR 12311726022
            CARBON BRUSH SET 12311727756

of course check to make sure these are correct for your build date and pariticular alternator brand..
            IIRC all of the alternators use the same regulator part, and I imagine the brushes too.
            Last edited by pdx 528e; 06-28-2006, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Some had an internal voltage regulator and some had an internal voltage regulator. The valeo alternator on my car has an internal one.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick325is
                Some had an internal voltage regulator and some had an internal voltage regulator. The valeo alternator on my car has an internal one.

Nick
                ? What? Well the internal ones were the same in E28s, E30s, E24s, etc, according to ETK, with varying amperage units.

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed
                  Eh, I just went ahead and ordered a new one. After my core, it will only cost me $120, and that's with a lifetime warranty. I'm still in the middle of trying to sort out my new house, unpacking, and digging out my garage, so I don't really have the time to bother with rebuilding it, it's just easier to buy a new one and drop it in.

BMW doesn't have lifetime warranty on OEM parts.

Are you sure the dealer said an OEM Bosch/Valeo has a lifetime warranty?

Comment

Originally posted by bmw_e30
                    BMW doesn't have lifetime warranty on OEM parts.

Are you sure the dealer said an OEM Bosch/Valeo has a lifetime warranty?
                    It's not an OEM/Bosch alternator. It's aftermarket.

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed
                      It's not an OEM/Bosch alternator. It's aftermarket.
                      Oh NOES!!!! Not OEM?????

That's as bad as putting Prestone in.

Wait, I put Prestone in my radiator . . . .

;)
                      Current Cars
                      2014 M235i
                      2009 R56 Cooper S
                      1998 M3
                      1997 M3

Comment

Oh NOES!!!! Not OEM?????

That's as bad as putting Prestone in.

Wait, I put Prestone in my radiator . . . .

;)
                        Oh NOES! I might void teh warranteee! ;)

It's an Endurance, remanufactured using most likely Bosch internals anyway, is what the guy at the shop told me.

And OMFG PRESTONE??? Big whoop, I use Purolator oil filters. :D

Comment

Purolator filters are good. I use Mann, but its because I get them cheap when I order other stuff from fap99.
                          Current Cars
                          2014 M235i
                          2009 R56 Cooper S
                          1998 M3
                          1997 M3

Comment

Purolator filters are good. I use Mann, but its because I get them cheap when I order other stuff from fap99.
                            My brother in law showed me some study he found online that a guy did, he bought one of pretty much every filter you can buy, installed them all on his car, and after every one, cut them open and posted the results. Purolator was at the top, and Fram was dead last. I think it said somewhere that he actually had a Fram explode at one point.

Comment

when my alt went out, my car started to idle real low, and as i was driving (under throttle) the dash lights were dimmer than usual. i checked the brightness knob, and it was all the way up. i was about a mile away from home when the dash lights started to get real dim and then the car gave up. it was a sad day to be a bronzit.
                              Claus Luthe is my hero.

Comment

Working...
                              X