Rebuilding Complete HVAC Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilding Complete HVAC Box

So after my blower motor seizing up and the fact that at least 3 of the blend doors were broken I decided to pull interior and rebuild complete HVAC box. I did a lot of parts searching for the re-circulation doors that are attached to the actuators rod and found out that you can't get just the doors, you have to buy a whole HVAC unit to get them, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Between myself and 3 buddies we have 9 E30s and all of these doors are broken so I'm going to assume that it's this way on a LOT of E30s.

I started by drawing new re-circulation doors and I'm having them 3D printed this week. The point of this thread is to gather information from everyone that has had this problem and what have you done to fix it. Also, would R3V be interested in these 3D printed doors to use as replacement for your HVAC units.

Below are some pics so far.

sigpic
    Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Jordan is rebuilding his IHKS right now. See here:

Comment

I went to pick n pull right as an e30 hit the yard and was able to get a pristine unit that nobody fucked with.

It was easy to "rebuild" with foam tape. I recommend greasing the parts that open the recirv flaps as they get crusty and quickly kill the motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm more doing what Jordan is doing and talking the whole thing apart, cleaning, greasing, putting new foam, etc...

I've also found out that there are.two different types of the HVAC box. One is the NFL and has a square plug and the other is a VFL and has a rectangular plug. I have the later one.

Thanks for the link Andrew.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1445254349054.png
Views:	1
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	7180565Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1445254388353.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	7180566

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
        sigpic

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

man, I need to do this.

One of my flaps was broken too. I epoxied it together and it seems to have held. However, the car hasn't been driven much recently and I had a water leak a couple years ago. In combination with sitting in the garage for a year and the previous water, my HVAC smells like ass when I crank the heat up.

Reminds me of my 40 year old dodge.. I presume the inside of the HVAC unit is full of crud and likely mold. the vapor barriers in the doors were definitely moldy.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

bump from the dead, did you ever get the re-circ doors 3D printed?

Originally posted by Poorboyz View Post
            I started by drawing new re-circulation doors and I'm having them 3D printed this week. The point of this thread is to gather information from everyone that has had this problem and what have you done to fix it. Also, would R3V be interested in these 3D printed doors to use as replacement for your HVAC units.
            1991 318is ---230K - DD
            1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
            so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

I did and they have been working great since.

Originally posted by jrobie79 View Post
              bump from the dead, did you ever get the re-circ doors 3D printed?

sigpic

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Working...
              X