Vdo 7k swap problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vdo 7k swap problems

Swapped from moto to vdo 7k from the 5k cluster , now only the rightmost si green light is on , the fuel guage reads significantly higher than what is in there , and the tach doesnt work, solutions?
    1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
    1998 e36 328ic/5 -
    Roundie alpina pig cheek’d (1969)
    1967 2002 parts car
    1994 318iS junked.

Did you swap the entire cluster or the tach inside itself? I know if you swap the tach on the inside of the cluster itself the coding plug has to be swapped aswell to the corresponding tach but not sure if thats the cause of the different readings.

Comment

why run a 2.5 tach in an eta?
      -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
      -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
      MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
      Got Drop?? ;-)
      Originally posted by JinormusJ
      But of course
      E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Originally posted by CHIF8008 View Post
        why run a 2.5 tach in an eta?
        Because its a 2.7i stroker
        1998 e36 328ic/5 -
        1967 2002 parts car
        1994 318iS junked.

Comment

Originally posted by alpineE30 View Post
          Did you swap the entire cluster or the tach inside itself? I know if you swap the tach on the inside of the cluster itself the coding plug has to be swapped aswell to the corresponding tach but not sure if thats the cause of the different readings.
          Yes sir i purchased an early is coding plug as recommended by someone, but the cluster came with one that i didnt run because i already had the early one to use. Could trying the plug that came with it make a difference?
          1998 e36 328ic/5 -
          1967 2002 parts car
          1994 318iS junked.

Comment

gotcha. are you sure the NEW 7k cluster was fully working before install?
            -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
            Got Drop?? ;-)
            But of course

Comment

gotcha. are you sure the NEW 7k cluster was fully working before install?
              I bought it off someone on here who'd just put in gears before they sold i bought it , but they didnt mention anything being wrong w/ it
              1998 e36 328ic/5 -
              1967 2002 parts car
              1994 318iS junked.

Comment

Originally posted by JeLani View Post
                Yes sir i purchased an early is coding plug as recommended by someone, but the cluster came with one that i didnt run because i already had the early one to use. Could trying the plug that came with it make a difference?
                Im confused as to exactly what your saying, did you swap the entire cluster or the tachs on the inside and as what the other guy said you sure it even worked prior to putting it in. 7k tach goes with 7k coding plug and 5k coding plug has to go with 5k tach you can swap a 7k tach in another cluster but that bottom right corner of the cluster plug box has to go into the cluster with 7k tach.

Comment

Batteries might be dead in it too its been a while since I dealt with it but im pretty sure they mess with readings also the solder points in the cluster get loose over time they might have messed something up when they opened it i dont know.

Comment

hmm. tried slapping the dash? grounding nuts tight on the back? i had replaced my gears only to find out that the copper wingdings inside were broken in multiple spots.

just a thought- but are you using the "factory" length screws to install it? a longer screw will actually interfere with the board are can "cut" damage the circuits.
                    Got Drop?? ;-)
                    But of course

Comment

Im confused as to exactly what your saying, did you swap the entire cluster or the tachs on the inside and as what the other guy said you sure it even worked prior to putting it in. 7k tach goes with 7k coding plug and 5k coding plug has to go with 5k tach you can swap a 7k tach in another cluster but that bottom right corner of the cluster plug box has to go into the cluster with 7k tach.

I swapped the entire cluster , moto to vdo . It has an is coding plug in it currently. Its not a 5k chip, its not a 5k cluster. This is a 7k cluster , 7k chip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      1998 e36 328ic/5 -
                      1967 2002 parts car
                      1994 318iS junked.

Comment

early to late model fuel gauges read differently because of the dual pumps no?
                        Got Drop?? ;-)
                        But of course

Comment

Forgot about that and the fuel gauges are apparently different as well the ohms or something.

Comment

Actually different fuel tanks 55 liter vs 60 liter

Comment

Actually different fuel tanks 55 liter vs 60 liter
                              This is true
                              1998 e36 328ic/5 -
                              1967 2002 parts car
                              1994 318iS junked.

Comment

Working...
                              X