Key bypass switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Key bypass switch

Bit of a long story, but I lost my key. I already had new locks with a key all the way around, but not having the key made it a bitch to get the existing ignition out.
    So yea. I took a screwdriver to it and buggered it up pretty well. I'm going to get another housing and everything, but in the meantime does anybody have a diy on a bypass so that I can crank 'er up?
    Last edited by Jaybee325is; 01-05-2016, 07:25 PM.

If you search you will find something. It's not that hard to make. Just think about it: You need a switch for ACC, a switch for ON, and a push button for the starter. Find a wiring diagram and make it happen

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Really, all you need is an on/off switch and a push button. The ACC and ON can be combined, you just won't be able to sit and listen to the radio and stuff.

Comment

Can you unlock or do you have the steering wheel lock? If you can, remove the steering wheel, remove the plastic steering column covers, detach the ignition electrical portion from the mechanical portion. You should be able to turn the electrical switch with a screwdriver or similar tool.

Comment

can't you take the lock off the switch and just turn the switch?
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by vpilarrt View Post
            Can you unlock or do you have the steering wheel lock? If you can, remove the steering wheel, remove the plastic steering column covers, detach the ignition electrical portion from the mechanical portion. You should be able to turn the electrical switch with a screwdriver or similar tool.
            Yes. But so will anybody else 😳

Comment

And yes. I unlocked the wheel. It's all broken down.

Comment

One real concern with disabling the column lock is curbing the wheels on hills. I know not everyone has to park on steep hills. If you do park on a hill make sure the bring a wheel chock. When you turn your wheels in to the curb like you should and if your car get knocked out of gear, gravity will uncurb your wheels for you. The car will roll until it is inspired to do otherwise. That's just physics at work.
                My last car was from the pre-column lock era and I make house calls in SF and the Oakland hills for work. Ask me how I acquired this knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                X