Rear bumper mount issues. Plastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear bumper mount issues. Plastic

So I have been trying to figure this out to no avail. I have a 1989 touring, plastic bumpers. It came to me with a euro hitch I did not want. My thought was swap the hitch (which holds the brackets for the bumpers) and use typical bumper shocks from a non hitch car. Well the shocks I have do not fit into the brackets on the bumper. The bolt shaft is too long. No biggie, must be a weird euro thing( touring) so I check the part number of the bracket that goes with the bumper shock I have ( 51121959128 ) and purchase that bracket. It is exactly the same as what I have. I have only found one other example of this online, and that guy just got to cutting and welding to fix. This can't be the solution, and someone has to know what my part issue is.

Thanks for your time and help.
    Attached Files

Anyone ever figure this out?
    i have the same problem. The 128 shock is the only one available and it doesn't fit into the bracket as pictured.

Comment

I need some help with the same problem. After searching Realoem, I found found out that the carrier is a different part number (51121972229 vs. 51121972230)

for the bumper that comes with the trailer hitch. Does that help?

I have not yet bought the new carrier to try it.

Comment

As far as I can tell, the bumper shocks ending with 128 are US model shock.
        The weird thing is that they are stated as a replacement for the ones that are NLA for Euro models, but the US version is too long (pictured above) to accomodate the metal C piece.
        There is no mounting set available for the US model.
        I ended up finding new old stock shocks with the correct euro part number.

Comment

Does that mean you got the bumper to fit only by changing the stock shocks to the correct euro part number bumper shocks?

Comment

Working...
          X