Firm pedal, poor braking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firm pedal, poor braking

Hey guys, I replaced my master cylinder and now my brakes are very firm with little travel. But they're not biting at all. If I stand on the brakes, they travel as far as they do and then the car eventually stops. I've been reading about a bad ABS module or bad booster. Any thoughts?

Did fluid come out of all four bleeders at a similar rate when you bled the system?

Did you bench bleed the master?

Comment

Sounds like a bad booster

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

To test the brake booster do the following. 1)With the engine off, pump the brake a few times until the pedal gets stiff, then continue holding the pressure on the brake pedal. 2) While holding pressure on what should now be a stiff brake pedal, start the engine. 3) If your booster is good within in seconds of starting the engine the brake pedal should drop about a half inch and should feel softer.

Comment

certainly sounds like a booster issue. Check the pipe that runs to the booster hasn't disconnected somewhere.
          Boris - 89 E30 325i
          84- E30 323i

Comment

Let me jump on the failed booster train. Had this happen a few years back on another call while driving. Both feet on the brake and pulling up on the steering wheel to put everything I had on that brake pedal and the car barely slowed.
            2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Thanks guys! Any opinions on the reman'd A1 Cardone? I'd like to grab an ATE, but I don't want to spend $300+.

Comment

Originally posted by RobDog View Post
                To test the brake booster do the following. 1)With the engine off, pump the brake a few times until the pedal gets stiff, then continue holding the pressure on the brake pedal. 2) While holding pressure on what should now be a stiff brake pedal, start the engine. 3) If your booster is good within in seconds of starting the engine the brake pedal should drop about a half inch and should feel softer.
                What would indicate that it's working, but not efficiently?

Comment

Working...
                X