Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eta Crankshaft + Turbo + 325ic Do I need Pistons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eta Crankshaft + Turbo + 325ic Do I need Pistons?

Ok I'm about to put a turbo in my car I have the Turbo some baby 210cc injectors a dsm intercooler and hopefully I'll be able to pull off management with a FMU my question is, would it give me any gains to install an eta or 524td crankshaft into the car? I was hoping this should hopefully bump displacement to near 2.7 and retaining the 325i pistons should give me a ridiculously low compression ratio? Or should I leave well enough alone?

you can...drops compression (8.1?) I did that, and didn't have any problems, it gives better low end torque due to the longer stroke.

I'm not going to bother with the 2.7i with my next turbo m20

Comment

Dont you need eta connecting rods too?

You'll need pistons anyway, I think everyone was saying that with the stock i pistons your c/r would be something around 6:1. You need to at least go with supereta pistons.

Comment

drop the DSM intercooler, its worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by E30godz
          drop the DSM intercooler, its worthless.
          explain why an intercooler would be worthless? they work great in every aplication that i've seen.
          Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

well no shit intercoolers work.

i said the DSM intercooler....maybe you just skipped over that part.

The small square DSM intercooler found on eclipses and such may be small and compact, but it wont have the flow needed for a 2.7 turbo application. It is wrong to assume that any intercooling is better than NO intercooling.

-Ian
            sporting an intercooler in the 325iT

Comment

Awww but I liked the intercooler

Ok I'll ditch it and go get a front mount or something maybe take my AC out and mount one of those 940 Volvo intercoolers even though they are huge...

Ok I need connecting rods I can't just slap a crank in there? I took a motor out of a car at the pick-a-part to get my subframe its just sitting there I'll take the crank and rods if I need em.

Comment

Originally posted by E30godz
                well no shit intercoolers work.

i said the DSM intercooler....maybe you just skipped over that part.

The small square DSM intercooler found on eclipses and such may be small and compact, but it wont have the flow needed for a 2.7 turbo application. It is wrong to assume that any intercooling is better than NO intercooling.

-Ian
                sporting an intercooler in the 325iT

ops sorry ian, i didn't see that dsm in front, your refering to the ones that came stock on the eclipses, yahs those things are tiny, no engough flow...

-cam
                taking back waht he said because he made a mistake :)
                Cam .W '91 325is

Comment

; ) no problem Cam!

Hortos,

I had to ditch the AC for my intercooler. I wouldn't go after the 940 intercooler either. Some site did a test on a bunch of IC's and determined that though it was big, it didn't flow very well either...notice how thin it is? Depending on how much boost you are running, you may think it advantageous to run without one. TCD is wanting to run 15 psi non-intercooled and i bet that that is higher than you wanted to run?

Comment

if you use the eta crank the rods and pistons you want to use depends on what compression ratio you would like to recieve, in my eyes your best bet is to use custom pistons therefore you cna have any bore and compression ratio you would like. if i recall correctly, and the its your choice on which rods you would like to use.
                    for custom pistons visit

Top End Performance has been your source for the best prices on brand name, top quality car parts since 1994. Our commitment to providing the best parts at the best prices is topped only by our dedication to providing the very best service to our clients. We are here to help - that's the Top End difference.

oh and by the way lots of people stroke the m20 with and e36 m3 crank, out of an s50, but i think it needs some mod's to the block/crank? to fit it. maybe the McHenry's can shed some light of that form of stroking the m20. as i don't know much about it.
                    and in final, you could alwasy just buy a complete set from

but be perpared to pay top dollar.

hope that helps.
                    Cam .W '91 325is

Comment

oh ..."matt325is" is running an intercooler, in his front grille where the oil cooler used to be, but i can't remeber if that was a custom intercooler or not, maybe ihe'll show up in this thread. and his car is damn clean, pure sex.
                      Cam .W '91 325is

Comment

It is a starion intercooler that has had the end tanks modifed. I copied him ; )

Comment

You can always use part of a core from a truck ;)

Comment

an excellent idea

Comment

Originally posted by skat 325is
                              You can always use part of a core from a truck ;)

that's my man!!!

when am I gonna see that fucker moving and swhooching?? :D
                              1994 BMW 325 i/Canon Rebel XT/28-135mm IS f:3.5-5.6/Canon 50mm f:1.8

Comment

Working...
                              X