Steering not returning to center?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering not returning to center?

I've got an issue with my 91' 318is - the steering feels rather stiff and doesn't return to center. Going around any corner at speed means I have to manually straighten the steering wheel coming out. Anyone dealt with something similar?

I know the PO replaced the steering rack (with another E30 rack) and also the front shocks.

Would like to fix this because it makes the car feel dead during cornering.
    Last edited by c0rbin9; 10-10-2016, 09:19 AM.
    1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

I've never gotten the car aligned as it drives straight. Other notable thing is the front subframe appears bent and the engine mount tabs are torn. Both of those things are on the agenda.

Comment

I have an interesting theory.
      If the front shocks where replaced and #8 in this diagram is missing the steering does funny things in regards to returning to center. First hand experience.
      1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
      1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
      bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by AwakenNoMore View Post
        I have an interesting theory.
        If the front shocks where replaced and #8 in this diagram is missing the steering does funny things in regards to returning to center. First hand experience.
        Yup i have the same issue, and i know for a fact that i forgot to put it back in on one side of my car. When you make a left or right hand turn it also wants to go left or right while you drive until you hit a bump or something to relieve the pressure from the top hat.

Comment

You could just disconnect the outer tie rod ends to diagnose the problem origin e.g. steering system (seized ball joint or steering coupling) or strut assembly which you should be able to turn freely side to side.

Comment

i had the 'not returning to center' on a previous e30 when I purchased it. Research said the same thing as the guys above - maybe the rack was bad or the suspension wasn't properly installed. The first thing on the list was a simple power steering fluid flush. It was really gross, so I did a thorough double flush and after that the rack was just fine.

have you changed the fluid?

Comment

Thanks guys, will update this thread once I dig into it. Something tells me the struts weren't installed correctly, but I'll check P/S fluid first... right after I sand and paint the rust on the floor pan, do the mess under the intake, and replace the front subframe. Might be a while, heh.

Comment

FYI, sometimes you need two #8's to give proper clearance for the spring hat not to rub on the strut mount. Also, don't forget #7 as this keeps dirt and junk out of your strut bearings.

Comment

Minor update: I've been so focused on other things that I didn't even notice the P/S fluid was very low - not even showing up on the dipstick. Filled to proper level with Dexron IV and now it's MUCH better.

Comment

What do I win? :)

Comment

Working...
                    X