Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi a few questions about power steering and radiator connections.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi a few questions about power steering and radiator connections.

Hello so I am attempting to make repairs on my e30 which i crashed. Ive stripped it down discovered all of the problems and have all of the parts to get it running again.

Background for this photo is I have a z4 steering racl which the previous owner put in the car. From my understanding you can't get the z4 steering rack to have powersteering. Anyways i have what i believe is 2 power steering cords which were in the engine bay zip tied and in a black bag. Here is the picture.
    My question is what can i delete these wires and plug them so they're not just hanging around the engine bay? Does the steering rack have some kind of lubricant that runs through it?

Question #2 I was unplugging connections for the radiator and when i unplugged one specific connection there was pressure released and a small amount of fluid came running out. Here is the picture of the connection.
    So my question is do i need to repressurize some system or will it repressurize itself?

Question #3 so i walk out to the garage this morning and notice that there is oil under the car in the cat litter i set down im not sure what part this is but i have a picture.
    Any advice for this problem would be apreciated i have a person that is a very skilled welder if thats what i need to plug some kind of hole. (The car has been sitting for close to a month before i notice this much leaking)

Question #4 are these both radiator connections? The one im holding is but the bottom one has some kind of red oil?

I'm sorry for the very general questions i have given and the lack of experience with repairs is clear but any help I greatly appreciate. I was given the option to just sell the car to the insurance but I cant do that I love my e30 and it would just be crazy to throw another one in the scrap yard. So this is where i am 17 with my broken ass e30.
    Thanks for all the help in advance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Here is the picture of the car now if anybody was wondering.

Last edited by DaWildBeast; 11-02-2016, 06:30 PM.

Comment

The 2 hoses in your bottom pic are trans cooler lines. They connect to a side tank on your radiator and just make sure you have good o rings in place so they don't leak
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

The power steering hoses go up the reservoir tank. Take out the reservoir and pull the hoses out.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
          The 2 hoses in your bottom pic are trans cooler lines. They connect to a side tank on your radiator and just make sure you have good o rings in place so they don't leak
          Thanks. I will look into some o rings

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
            The power steering hoses go up the reservoir tank. Take out the reservoir and pull the hoses out.
            Okay sounds good the PO decided a sandwich bag and a zip tie was easier i guess lol

Comment

Looks like you have a little work on your hands....

#2 That is the AC receiver drier. The pressure you heard was the refigerant venting to the atmosphere...which FYI is illegal, but it's done now. The fluid you saw escaping was likey some PAG oil. You will need to replace that drier when you rebuild the AC if you want it to operate to spec. You should plug all the disconnected AC openings to prevent grit getting into the system and destroying the compressor.

#3 That is the auto transmission oil pan. It looks beat up and judging by scrapes on the exhaust system may have been grounded and have cracks. You could weld it but sourcing a good used one is a better bet, replace the filter, gasket, O ring and fluid "while you're in there".

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf View Post
                Looks like you have a little work on your hands....

#2 That is the AC receiver drier. The pressure you heard was the refigerant venting to the atmosphere...which FYI is illegal, but it's done now. The fluid you saw escaping was likey some PAG oil. You will need to replace that drier when you rebuild the AC if you want it to operate to spec. You should plug all the disconnected AC openings to prevent grit getting into the system and destroying the compressor.

#3 That is the auto transmission oil pan. It looks beat up and judging by scrapes on the exhaust system may have been grounded and have cracks. You could weld it but sourcing a good used one is a better bet, replace the filter, gasket, O ring and fluid "while you're in there".
                Big thanks man i didnt know that refrigerant was going to come out clearly im a newbie not on purpose but thanks for the advice!

Comment

Hi, Iman. I knew I recognized that car.

I never realized the PO swapped a Z3 rack, but that explains why I remember your steering being so quick. The famous plastic bag was probably because he tried to fit the E30 power steering hoses to the new rack, which definitely don't fit. When I did mine, I had to buy E36 power steering hoses and one of them had to be bent a little bit to fit around the motor mount. If you want power steering, it's doable. Just pick up new crush washers and new E36 hoses.

Looks like you already got your answers for questions 2-4.

Post your shit on instagram dude, what's the progress on fixing everything?

Comment

Originally posted by sneakyRedPanda View Post
                    Hi, Iman. I knew I recognized that car.

I never realized the PO swapped a Z3 rack, but that explains why I remember your steering being so quick. The famous plastic bag was probably because he tried to fit the E30 power steering hoses to the new rack, which definitely don't fit. When I did mine, I had to buy E36 power steering hoses and one of them had to be bent a little bit to fit around the motor mount. If you want power steering, it's doable. Just pick up new crush washers and new E36 hoses.

Looks like you already got your answers for questions 2-4.

Post your shit on instagram dude, what's the progress on fixing everything?
                    I dont plan to have power steering it was never really wanted i like the heavier feeling but thanks for the info.
                    Yes i do have an instagram it is @itsmta im being very lazy and not working on it much. im 17 with too much debt owed to my grandma after many vehicle troubles have happened including this, a blown up quad and a e46 330i that I hydroplaned into the curb. I have all of the parts and i may just do a wright up. At this point im done with dissasembly of the car in a few days im going to grab some card board and mock up a removable core support so that others can do the same if they wish. Anyways back to debts is im literally working my ass off at tacobell/highschool and im so exaughsted all the time because im attempting to pay back debt and graduate this year and not become a super-senior but yeah it will be done some time in the near future then on to turbo the m20 but who knows if i can stop crashibg cars and breaking quads maybe i can move forward with my bigger HP numbers for my e30

Last edited by DaWildBeast; 11-02-2016, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Man, when I was 17 my main mode of transportation was a bicycle.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
                        Man, when I was 17 my main mode of transportation was a bicycle.
                        Me and bicycles dont match ive broken like 7 with the help of my cousin they sit in the garage at my aunts house. Im lucky my dad's a car guy because i would probably be walking to school if not

Comment

Working...
                        X