New Fan Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Fan Clutch

Was searching the web on issues but didn't see anything that dealt with a new fan clutch. So recently purchased a new fan clutch since my previous one stopped working. Install was simple in out within 15 mins. Crank the car on and the fan clutch engages but is so damn loud, sounds as if it is hitting something but its clear of hitting anything. Engages as it should but is super loud, has anyone experienced this? Or was something wrong at install

Did you put your fan blade setup on backwards?

The clutch itself shouldn't make any noise at all.

Comment

How can you place on backwards ? It only goes on one way , right ?

Comment

I think it's possible to bolt the actual fan blades to the clutch backwards.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

Update to pulling out the fan clutch and seeing what was going on . After doing some checking I noticed the noise was coming from the fan blade rubbing against the plastic piece of the coolant line that goes across the front of the engine. So i suppose I may have over tightened because now it does touch.

New issue, fan spins at a moderate speed when stopped or parked after it's been running for time but I notice the temp will still slowly rise. What the crap is wrong now ?

Comment

I suspect that you have some air in the system, did you open the coolant system recently? If so follow the bleeding procedure for whatever engine it is that you have.

Comment

Coolant system hasn't been open in a long time; this is the first week the car has been driven but was bled prior to driving around. I'll give it a try and see what happens. Thanks for the advice

Comment

Slowly overheating at idle with a good fan is most likely a coolant flow issue, probably either thermostat or clogged coolant passages - assuming it has been bled properly.

If it hasn't been done in a while, I would flush the system with Prestone radiator flush and replace the thermostat. That should fix the issue.
                1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Turn on the heater inside. If it is still slowly rising, your thermostats may be bad. If not, the new clutch fan is defected.

If your clutch fan is loud, it is stuck in high speed. There is a spring tensioner on the clutch fan. It control how fast it spin base on the temperature. It's shouldn't be loud during cold start.
                  Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

Working...
                  X