A/C without Heater Core...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C without Heater Core...

Hello, Can I have A/C without having the heater box / core /fan/ that whole heater box assembly?

or is it needed for the A/C? for example, ducts that are used for the cold air to flow through to get to the vents?

I have heard removing the heater core would also remove the defroster which is important but I have heard that there are electric defrosters that I would look into about installing If I did remove the heater core.

I would really like to keep my A/C being that I live in Miami, FL. But I would like to remove the heater core to save on weight and also because I would NEVER need heat, and it would give me a great excuse on removing all of the dash so I can get my carpet out without cutting it.

I am new to the e30's and I have searched to see If this question has been asked...
    Last edited by WellMax; 06-10-2017, 08:37 PM.

yes but you have to tape up the hole.

Comment

Great, Taping up a hole is easy to do.

What kind of hole is it? Is it an air vent/passage way that would haverouted to the heater.

Oh and Im sorry you guys, I meant the whole heater fan/ blower / heaterbox assembly, not just the small radiator/heater core. i have edited my Original post

Comment

The AC evaporator is in the 'heater box', so you can't pull that whole assembly...

I suppose you could make something to replace it, but the evaporator's at least half of what's in there,
        and you'd still need most of the ducting.

Plus, you'll want defrost every so often- it's not the frost, it's the humidity.

The whole mess is ugly, but pretty light for what it is. Lotsa work, not a lotta gain.

the conclusion I came to, anyway...

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by WellMax View Post
          Hello, Can I have A/C without having the heater box / core /fan/ that whole heater box assembly?

or is it needed for the A/C? for example, ducts that are used for the cold air to flow through to get to the vents?

I have heard removing the heater core would also remove the defroster which is important but I have heard that there are electric defrosters that I would look into about installing If I did remove the heater core.

I would really like to keep my A/C being that I live in Miami, FL. But I would like to remove the heater core to save on weight and also because I would NEVER need heat, and it would give me a great excuse on removing all of the dash so I can get my carpet out without cutting it.

I am new to the e30's and I have searched to see If this question has been asked...
          You can have the AC without the heater if you plug the hole left by the heater core. Or you can have A/C and no stock HVAC box if you fabricate a new box to connect the fan to the evaporator.

As to the ducts, well, yes, of course they are dual purpose for both heat and cooling air.

You could of course remove the heater core and install an electric defroster (some racers use E30 vert rear window defrosters), but the total weight loss would be small.

So, don't be silly, removing heater core/hoses/valve will save almost no weight compared to the A/C system that must weigh upwards of 40lbs, and losing heat will functionally cripple your car in certain scenarios.

Comment

Working...
          X