Clunk in steering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clunk in steering?

My '91 318iS has a peculiar "clunk" in the steering. It only occurs in two situations:

1. When the wheel is dead center, and you start to turn the wheel left or right.
    2. When the wheels are even slightly turned to one side and you go over a bump.

I'm thinking something is loose, but I figured I'd ask first before I go a-wrenching. Thanks in advance.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

CAB or Ball joint are my guesses
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

Vapor Honing & E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueabs.com/

Comment

or knuckle, those can wear too.
      Im now E30less.
      sigpic

Comment

Re: Clunk in steering?

Originally posted by e30Matt
        My '91 318iS has a peculiar "clunk" in the steering. It only occurs in two situations:

1. When the wheel is dead center, and you start to turn the wheel left or right.

I'm thinking something is loose, but I figured I'd ask first before I go a-wrenching. Thanks in advance.
        Right after I bought my is from Eric, I noticed a noise associated with slight play in the steering wheel. We adjusted something on the steering column/rack. We placed a wrench on a nut towards the bottom of the steering shaft and turned the steering wheel all the way either left or right, I am sorry I can't remember which. Anyway, I will inform Eric, and surely he can explain it better than I can. Of course, it could be another problem entirely.

[THE 501 club - Founding Member]

Comment

Originally posted by rcwells

Right after I bought my is from Eric, I noticed a noise associated with slight play in the steering wheel. We adjusted something on the steering column/rack. We placed a wrench on a nut towards the bottom of the steering shaft and turned the steering wheel all the way either left or right, I am sorry I can't remember which. Anyway, I will inform Eric, and surely he can explain it better than I can. Of course, it could be another problem entirely.
          My friend Ian had the same problem, he told me about a big nut down by the pedals... elaborate a little? Thanks. I don't want to go digging under the dash for nothing.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

yeah mine does this too.. it's probably just that nut. my steering components are all solid. I've been meaning to do this forever, maybe I'll get around to it during spring break.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Mine does it once in a while :?

Comment

Originally posted by rcwells

My friend Ian had the same problem, he told me about a big nut down by the pedals... elaborate a little? Thanks. I don't want to go digging under the dash for nothing.
                I spoke with Eric last night and he said he would try to post a reply on this today. It worked wonders on my car, I haven't had any of those annoying clunks since, and that was almost a year ago. I will call him and remind him to post.

[THE 501 club - Founding Member]

Comment

Did someone call my name?? LOL

Ok, here are the instructions that I originally read from the E30 M3 SIG by Don Fields.

"...from what I remember,(and that ain't too much these days) the
                  32mm nut is at the bottom of the steering shaft only on the cars equipped
                  with airbags. Remove the lower dash cover, turn the steering wheel all the
                  way to the left, install 32mm/1,1/4" wrench and have your buddy turn the
                  wheel to the right. Keep in mind this will slightly reduce the ability of
                  the column to collapse in the event of an accident! I do tighten them here
                  all the time." Don Fields Autosport Performance

Now, how much do you tighten? Good question. This was brought up this week on the E30 Yahoo Group and UUC email lists. No one really knows, however as Don mentions, overtightening reduces the ability of the column to collapse in the event of an accident. Somone on the list metioned that the steering column could become more of a spear in an accident. So, tighten at your own risk.

If this does not take out all of the noise, then most likely your problem is the rubber coupling/u-joint that is located in the engine bay. You will have to change it out to totally get rid of the noise.
                  Eric Giles
                  '20 M2 CS
                  '04 M3
                  '11 X5 35D
                  '87 325is
                  '91 325i Sport

There are few things more expensive than a cheap BMW...

Comment

yep I have the same problem as well, glad you made a thread about it ;)

SOLD: My feature http://www.stanceworks.com/2012/04/a...ss-bmw-e30-m3/

Comment

Exact same problem here :( I traced it to the rubber coupling - it's perished and has a few cracks in it. Can the rivets holding it in be drilled out so I can replace the rubber by itself? Or do I have to replace the entire double uni joint assy?

Comment

Originally posted by sovann
                        Exact same problem here :( I traced it to the rubber coupling - it's perished and has a few cracks in it. Can the rivets holding it in be drilled out so I can replace the rubber by itself? Or do I have to replace the entire double uni joint assy?
                        Don't take my word on this, but in talking to the owner of an independent BMW service shop about this problem, he mentioned that the entire u-joint must be replaced. This would require seperation of the steering shaft and a few hours of labor. I remember pricing the part at one time, and I seem to remember it was in the $80-100 range. The labor time is 2-3 hours from what I was told.

Would it be possible just just drill out the rivets holding the coupling in? Possibly, but there is not much room to work in this area so you might have to pull the u-joint off anyway. If anyone is brave enough to try this, please let us know what you find!
                        Eric Giles
                        '20 M2 CS
                        '04 M3
                        '11 X5 35D
                        '87 325is
                        '91 325i Sport

Comment

Got under the car, found the problem. It's the lower joint on the double-U joint assembly between the shaft and the rack. Hopefully Rob's parts car's joint will fit. Does anyone know if a 325es U-joint assembly will fit a 318iS column?

Comment

Got under the car, found the problem. It's the lower joint on the double-U joint assembly between the shaft and the rack. Hopefully Rob's parts car's joint will fit. Does anyone know if a 325es U-joint assembly will fit a 318iS column?
                            Matt-

Give me the last 7 digits of your VIN so I can look it up in the ETK CD. If you also have the last 7 of the 325es that would really help!
                            Eric Giles
                            '20 M2 CS
                            '04 M3
                            '11 X5 35D
                            '87 325is
                            '91 325i Sport

Comment

I don't have 'em handy, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X