Oil Pressure Gauges in e30s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Pressure Gauges in e30s

Id like to hook up an oil pressure gauge on the car. The only easy way Ive seen is gaugemans electrical sender which im assuming just replaces the stock sender and keeps the harness for the dummy light. However, I just got an amsoil BMK-14 kit which is a remote oil filter kit... Couldnt I just tee off the lines going into the filter housing on the stock side or the new filter side? However the fittings for the hose on there are like 3/4" fittings, Do you think Id find a tee down to like 1/8"? Im looking at the phantom gauge from autometer seeing as a friend has one layin around, And plan on doing it mechanically, Let me know what you guys think, Or anywhere else I can tee into

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the E30 already have an oil pressure warning. If oil pressure gets too low, you will get the oil warning light come on the dash.

Do you mean oil temperature by any chance?

Comment

Try Summitracing.com. They have the best prices and selection. Personally, I find the Z-series matches the OEM gauges best. They'll have mechanical and electical gauges.
      A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do- Walter Gagehot

Comment

Originally posted by E30Adam
        Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the E30 already have an oil pressure warning. If oil pressure gets too low, you will get the oil warning light come on the dash.

I think he's looking for an actual guage instead of just a dummy light.

Comment

yes a gauge, im not looking for gauges I know what i want there im looking for the best way to hook it up

Comment

I just asked this question last week.

I haven't hooked my oil pressure gauge yet but it should go in where the oil pressure dummy light hooks up.

I picked up a special t fixture from Bav Auto (hasn't arrived yet) which should allow me to hook up the oil pressure regulator and the dummy light.

BTW -- I will be installing a Z Series electrical Oil Pressure gauge.

Regards
            Paul Q
            89 325ic

Comment

Re: Oil Pressure Gauges in e30s

Originally posted by Snowmann
              However, I just got an amsoil BMK-14 kit which is a remote oil filter kit...
              Don't use the rubber lines that come with that kit. Mine burned through and led to a high speed spin during a driving school. Not fun.

Comment

curious as to where you mounted yours, as I was poking around today and not sure where... I have sheathing that the hoses are going to be put in too from DEI, good stuff Other then that I dont think Id have much of a problem, Im thinking putting the filter where the washer bottle used to be, however then I have to buy 90 degree fittings because the old housing makes the lines run backwards basically, do you have any pics? I was also considering underneath where the washer bottle was basically tucked right inside the airdam with some kind of shielding

Comment

Originally posted by E30Adam

absolutly tur! it came to my eyes in two opportunytis, nice light!!! :P
                  Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Originally posted by Snowmann
                    curious as to where you mounted yours, as I was poking around today and not sure where... I have sheathing that the hoses are going to be put in too from DEI, good stuff Other then that I dont think Id have much of a problem, Im thinking putting the filter where the washer bottle used to be, however then I have to buy 90 degree fittings because the old housing makes the lines run backwards basically, do you have any pics? I was also considering underneath where the washer bottle was basically tucked right inside the airdam with some kind of shielding
                    I mounted mine on the shelf at the rear of the car. I ran the lines straight back and then looped them up the firewall. I was toying with using the washer bottle location, but it looked like the bend required for the lines to get there would be too drastic. If there wasn't a sharp bend, the lines would be even closer to the exhaust than where I ran them. My line burned through just after it left the filter housing. Large pics of the mount location can be viewed here: http://www.mdvsynthetics.com/e30/bypasspics.htm

Comment

i actually mounted it tonite, I put it in the washer bottle location but ran the lines just like yours, only then back down to the washer bottle, I made a bracket underneath the coolant bottle to support the lines up out of falling down into rough bolts and stuff, worked okay, I also lined both with DEI heat sheathing then ziptied to the firewall to keep it absolutely at the farthest possible point from the headers i now have, Im just hoping it doesnt leak, I have the filter mount fairly tight but its still kinda loose, It says to install it just like a filter, touch then an 1/8 turn, I dunno mine seems loose with that so I probably put one full turn on it.

Comment

are you guys using mechanical gauges? are they cheaper or something?
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
                          are you guys using mechanical gauges? are they cheaper or something?
                          My gauges are electrical. The kits were talking about move the oil filters to a remote location and increase filtration and sump capacity.

Comment

Working...
                          X