Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's this rubber?

Tiny bit of rubber is cracked.
    Looks like the throttle body cable--is that correct?
    - How important is it to replace the rubber? or do I just replace the entire cable? This is not a daily driver.
    - How do I replace rubber and/or throttle body cable?
    - How much of a pain in the ass is the job?
    - Is this the right replacement PART#: 401552? https://www.bavauto.com/bmw-throttle-cable-401552
    Attached Files

They generally help keep crap from getting into the cable sheath and gumming it up. Gumming up causes the cable to stick or not move smoothly.

Personally Id probably leave it alone if its a garage queen like mine. It would ultimately be a safety issue on the throttle cable though.

Comment

A new cable is fairly easy to install, but won't come with the rubber boot.

Comment

This is on the crimped end of the cable that attaches to the throttle body, so all it could really do is rust prevention. Personally I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are worried, you could just glue the rubber cap back on with some RTV, or put some nail polish or something on the cable to seal it.

Comment

Thanks, everyone.
          I got plenty of other stuff to work on too so this, at the very least, does not need to be highly prioritized.

Comment

Working...
          X