Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First-time e30 Purchase. Rust?

Hi all,

Looking at purchasing my first e30, a 1986 325es. There are a couple of rust spots, but being new to the scene I just wanted to see if I should be concerned about them. Photos linked below. Thanks for your help!

Rust/corrosion in spots on the driver's door

Rust hole above passenger door:

Move to the northeast and you will realize what rust on an e30 typically is like. This is nothing.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Here is the definitive illustrated guide to e30 rust.

http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/Rust

I found this page very helpful in assessing my car. Fortunately I didn’t find any issues of consequence. Mostly minor surface stuff.

Good luck and enjoy your new car!
      Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
      1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
      Palm Beach County

Comment

Awesome, thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiie30 View Post
          Awesome, thanks guys!
          Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
          1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
          Palm Beach County

Comment

My understanding of cars in Hawaii is that it matters which side of the island it lived on. The salt air from the windward side gets in to every nook and cranny and is quite different than on cars on the lee side which get mainly surface issues
            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
            Alice the Time Capsule
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

It had one owner from 1986 to 2015, and it lived on the windward side. I'll see it on person on Tuesday. It looks really clean, though! Here are a few more photos:

Comment

That’s pretty clean but an es isn’t the same as an is. Please don’t overpay.
                My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post
                  That’s pretty clean but an es isn’t the same as an is. Please don’t overpay.
                  What would a fair value be to shoot for? 88k original miles. They're asking $5500.

Comment

If that were an IS in a more desirable color combo with those miles it would be a 10k car. It looks to be in good shape. If you paid 5 for it I would say you did ok.

The Build:
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Originally posted by ttrousdell View Post
                      If that were an IS in a more desirable color combo with those miles it would be a 10k car. It looks to be in good shape. If you paid 5 for it I would say you did ok.
                      Thanks, I was going to shoot for $5k or below. But yeah, Bronzit, haha. Not many options out here for e30s, so that factors into the equation too.

Comment

Buy it.If that silver paint with pinstripes is the original paint,the car must have been well protected ,88,000 is very low ,you do not describe the condition of the rest of the car,try and find another with this potential .I bought an 87 ES for 3400.00 that was described to be an excellent car ,but was very misrepresented and have spent about that much again over two years with me doing all of the work and it still needs more work ,it is an automatic car .my car had only 101,000 but was completely original with nothing being done ,no records as had been promised ,beware of ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by 1843lamp View Post
                          Buy it.If that silver paint with pinstripes is the original paint,the car must have been well protected ,88,000 is very low ,you do not describe the condition of the rest of the car,try and find another with this potential .I bought an 87 ES for 3400.00 that was described to be an excellent car ,but was very misrepresented and have spent about that much again over two years with me doing all of the work and it still needs more work ,it is an automatic car .my car had only 101,000 but was completely original with nothing being done ,no records as had been promised ,beware of ebay.
                          I've been assured the miles and paint are original, and they have all of the records going back to 1986. The original owner had it until 2015. Planning to check the sunroof when I get there, but they said that there was no other rust present other than in those photos they sent. The seller isn't an E30 enthusiast, though, so I'm not sure exactly what I'm walking into. I'm hoping they kept it garaged most of its life!

Comment

Yeah, folks here have more experience than I on judging the value of a good car and for what it’s worth I think $5k is good. I paid $5k on each of our cars, both are well cared for and my ‘89 I got from the original owner which was really cool.
                            My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                            I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Thanks gents. Tuesday can't get here fast enough! I'll report back with how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X