Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, I found out that funny gear noise somewhere under my car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I found out that funny gear noise somewhere under my car.

-
    Last edited by robbieosterman; 02-09-2016, 03:13 PM.

That is very bad!!!!! Did you use ATF?

1989 325iX
    1995 540i
    1986 325eS R.I.P.
    1984 325e R.I.P.

Comment

transfer case = differential?
      Vancouver Portrait Photographer

E30 M3 Wallpapers

Comment

You better drain that shit quick. It is only meant to have atf in it. Gear oil is way too heavy. Man if your going to own an iX you better learn some basic shit quick. If your TC ever bites the dust your basically fucked. Take care of your iX or sell it to me. There is probably already damage to the TC. No telling how long its been dry. Very BAD! Also you better check the splines on your front DS before that fucks you too. Here is a link that will really help you. http://home.earthlink.net/~wardellhix/iX/ Seriously though maintain your iX properly, there are not that many left and you are privlidged to own one.

Originally posted by MikesJo View Post
        transfer case = differential?
        No iX's have a transfercase that supplys power to the front driveshaft. Its almost just like and 4x4

1989 325iX
        1995 540i
        1986 325eS R.I.P.
        1984 325e R.I.P.

Comment

I don't know the specific parts that would need replacing but I would start with the chain and all the seals. Seals are actually somewhat cheap. I don't think you want to tackle any of the mechanical parts yourself though. You really don't want to have it rebuilt because it will be very expensive. You can't just walk into any parts store and ask for iX TC parts. They would most likely be special order from the dealer and everyone knows that the dealer will rape you, especially on iX specific parts. As far as using gear oil, I am sure it will quiet the thing down alot but it is designed to run in ATF. Is your car auto or manual? On the auto version the tc can leak into the tranny w/o you even knowing. It doesnt hold much fluid in the first place so if you have a leak it will all be gone before you know it. Also CHECK YOUR SPLINES!! It only take 15 minutes and I wouldnt be supprised if yours are dry considering the state your TC was in. LUBE THEM with a good antisieze or I think molly grease works too. Seriously check out the iX registry link in the above post. You can learn a lot of very important information. Owning an iX isn't like owning any other e30. Take care of it please.

1989 325iX
          1995 540i
          1986 325eS R.I.P.
          1984 325e R.I.P.

Comment

I suppose you might be able to find the parts. but ther still not going to be cheap. Try realoem.com to get the PN's. One could probably rebuild it himself but the iX TC is just very uncharted territory as far as DIY goes. Plus there are no manuals that cover the iX so you would be pretty much on your own. I don't suppose it would be very complicated though. Good to hear, keep up on it! I guess gear oil is better than no oil.

1989 325iX
            1995 540i
            1986 325eS R.I.P.
            1984 325e R.I.P.

Comment

Its not really that much work if you just stay caught up on it.
              I have an eS I might let go if you are interested in trading + some cash? ;)

1989 325iX
              1995 540i
              1986 325eS R.I.P.
              1984 325e R.I.P.

Comment

the ix transfer case is very simple to rebuild, but the parts are expensive. you would probably need new bearings and a chain, and seals of course, but I would just keep driving it and see if it holds up - maybe you'll get lucky.

gear oil is probably OK, but I'm running redline ATF in mine.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Nando do you know anyone who has or have you done this procedure?

1989 325iX
                  1995 540i
                  1986 325eS R.I.P.
                  1984 325e R.I.P.

Comment

I've redone 2 transfer cases. they are very simple to take apart and put back together, you don't really need a manual.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      I've redone 2 transfer cases. they are very simple to take apart and put back together, you don't really need a manual.
                      How much did you spend on parts and where did you buy them?

1989 325iX
                      1995 540i
                      1986 325eS R.I.P.
                      1984 325e R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
                      X