Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Click, but no crank. NEW STARTER + BATTERY. (Data included)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click, but no crank. NEW STARTER + BATTERY. (Data included)

Hey all,
    trying to get the e30 running. Car is an m50nv swap (manual) into a late model e30, I have a new battery (1 month) and a used starter which I had bench tested at Oreillys twice. When I turn the key my fuel pump primes and my injectors prime as well. All lights work etc. When I turn the key to the start position the starter clicks once and does not continue to turn, or turn over the engine at all. Starter is wired with the 12V and Alternator large wires on the + post, the black/yellow signal wire on bottom post and black/green on the top post. Which I'm 95% sure is correct, they only fit that way. I collected the following data while doing some electrical tests.

I should add I’m running MS3x full standalone

*To add, I have tried jumping the terminals with a screwdriver and also with pins 11 and 14. Using the pins caused the same result while jumping the terminals led to a small spark but not even a click from the starter. The voltage drop between the ignition switch wire and positive terminal/battery is the only thing that stuck out to me but was unsure if that drop is normal between the two.

Normal Conditions
    ----------------------------------
    Battery -12.18V
    Starter -12.17V
    Ignition Switch Wire on Starter - 9.29V (Car is trying to start, key turned)

While On 10amp 12V Charger
    ------------------------------------
    Battery - 12.61V
    Starter - 12.61V
    Ignition Switch Wire on Starter - 9.55V (Car is trying to start, key turned)

Voltage Drop Test (Hours later, after slow charge)
    -------------------------------------

Battery - 12.85V
    While attempting to crank - 12.45V

Battery (On Charger) - 13.52V
    While attempting to crank (On Charger) - 12.8V

Some Ground Resistance Testing
    ---------------------------------------
    Negative to block - 15ohm
    Starter housing to block - 5ohm
    Starter housing to negative - 15ohm
    Last edited by NEOe30; 12-18-2018, 09:45 AM.

I didn't read it but I'll just state the obvious, check that the engine isn't seized? Try turning it over with a 22mm from the crank bolt. After that I'd start checking ground connections.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
    1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
    1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
    1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
    1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
    1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
    Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
    1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
    1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

These should all be zero ohms. So yep check your grounds as suggested above.

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
        I didn't read it but I'll just state the obvious, check that the engine isn't seized? Try turning it over with a 22mm from the crank bolt. After that I'd start checking ground connections.
        Thank you for the suggestion! Was actually the first thing I did before going to get the starter tested (again).

Originally posted by e30davie View Post

These should all be zero ohms. So yep check your grounds as suggested above.
        Thanks, will do. I know they aren’t necessarily high, but wasn’t sure if any was acceptable. Will get to cleaning all my grounds up and report!
        Last edited by NEOe30; 12-18-2018, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Car started! now just to sort some fueling issues... Main culprit looked to be rear grounding cable in trunk, however I cleaned all the connections I could and now most resistances are < 0.2ohm! Thanks

Comment

Happy Days.

Comment

Working...
            X