Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel width cuasing handeling differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel width cuasing handeling differences?

Ok guys probally in 2-3 weeks I'm going to purchase two of these rims http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...odeIndex=50479
    I'll be sticking these rims on the rear of my car(due to the lip) and moving two of my three good TSW hocks to the front and keeping one as a spair rim.
    Now the TSW's are 7.5" wide and these Euro rage rims are 7" wide. Is this going to cuase and handeling or traction problems. I'll be running 205/50R16 tires on them. I don't auto cross the car but do enjoy the capabilty of having high speed cruising capabilties and nice back road traction. I've never gotten into trouble yet with the rear. I've felt the rear tires start to barely loose grip on some tight corners that I stomp the gas on but that's it. I guese I could run them on the front but that would look weird with a lip on the front and not on the back. Or if you guys know of some rims that would match my TSW's in 16x7.5 fitment let me know only if there under $150 per rim.
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

put the tsw's in the rear and you shouldnt have a problem, alot of newer bmw's have staggered wheels stock

Comment

It might cause a little more understeer....
      Below the radar...

Comment

Yeah, a bit of understeer but it can be corected with tire pressures or swaybars. I am running 7 in front an 8 in back and that is how Alpina did all thier cars.
        Im now E30less.
        sigpic

Comment

Why dont you sell your 3 TSW's, and buy 4 matching wheels?

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
          https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Money. I've got some bottle caps in the garage but they would need new tires and that would probally be $200 and knowing me, I'd end up selling the TSW's then buying something else I don't realy need. I guese I'll run the Euro's on the front then at least maybe I can get rid of my fender munching on the front since the TSW are the wrong offset. What size sway bars should I get to help correct for the understeer? I've got some under stear right no that is anoying when I come off up hill corners where the apex is downhill but this might be due to weight shift also.
            These wheel will be the first thing besides a tire and a center support bearing for my car that I've actualy needed. I've got a nasty habit of buying other things like rear strut bar, M5 intake, and e36 MAF, just to name a few. :D

Comment

Originally posted by rs4pro3
              Money. I've got some bottle caps in the garage but they would need new tires and that would probally be $200 and knowing me, I'd end up selling the TSW's then buying something else I don't realy need. I guese I'll run the Euro's on the front then at least maybe I can get rid of my fender munching on the front since the TSW are the wrong offset. What size sway bars should I get to help correct for the understeer?
              re-read that comment...
              Now annalyze.....

now, given that I'm going to have to agree you sell the 3 TSW's buy 2 more Euro's to complete the look and give you four correct wheels. Dont invest in sway bars to combat a mismatched set of wheels.
              Below the radar...

Comment

YA I know, but I like the hidden wheel lug of the TSW's I haven't seen many other BBS knock off styles with the hidden lugs.
                Dont invest in sway bars to combat a mismatched set of wheels
                I'm just looking for a reason to buy better sway bars when I don't need them.

Comment

buy some koni sa's so you can adjust the front to a soft setting and the rears stiff to attempt to correct understeer. then you have quality shocks, less understeer, and the car is ready to be dropped :)

Comment

Car is already dropped, and I have Koni's on the front(I believe) but I have no idea how to adjust them? They have a singel screw in the center that can be turned with a wrench. The previouse onwer put them on and I've never messed with it at all. I've got stock shocks on the rear and Need to replace thos but wheels first, as I'm tired of holding the steering wheel towards one side( 14inch rim on left and 16 on right).

Comment

Wait.. you have Koni's up front, and stock shocks in the back???

Is it any wonder why your car has poor handling characteristics?

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Well they might not be Koni's. A long time ago I posted a picture of the engine bay and Bimmersteven said the end of the sjocks looked like Koni's due to there being a scre of some sort that extended above the thread for the sturt bearing bolt. I just compared it to a stock 84 325e and the end looks completly different. Any one got a picture of the end where the strut bearing goes on a IS with the little dust cap removed? I just took a wrench out and tried turning this "Screw" and it wouldn't budge. I should of taken a peak when I changed my strut bearing a while back but I didn't. Here is a picture anyway of what I'm talking about. The screw is two sided where as the Eta end is 6 sided

Comment

This thread screams ghetto.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

those arent KONI's..... buy falkens for you bottle caps, and sell the TSW's then get koni sa shocks.... and possibly some GC's..... if you dont have much money, dont waste it on rediculious wheels.... cause i guarantee you will have some tire problems and 16" tires tend to be more spendy than 14" tires

http://www.westwerksauto.com

Comment

Good lord.

Dude, if you're hard up for cash, find some sucker to take those godawful TSW wheels off your hands. Toss some decent tires on the bottlecaps, get proper shocks on all 4 corners, and go from there.

-Charlie
                              Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                              '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                              FYYFF

Comment

Working...
                              X