Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heater recall 93V-015 (coolant hose rat's nest)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heater recall 93V-015 (coolant hose rat's nest)

I'm replacing all the coolant hoses on my E30 and it has the secondary thermostat and mess of hoses from the 93V-015 recall and I'm trying to decide whether I want to keep that or get rid of it. It looks to me like BMW did that as a rather make-shift solution in response to a lawsuit when someone got burned by coolant when the heater core ruptured after the car overheated. I found someone posted the actual recall letter from BMW here. According to the letter, in addition to the secondary thermostat, they also installed a new design expansion tank cap to prevent excessive pressure in the system. Someone on S14.net says here that their heater core ruptured with those recall parts installed so it didn't accomplish what it was intended to do. Also, it was installed on E30s in the US only and nowhere else, so I'm thinking it will be okay to get rid of that mess and replace the heater core as a precaution. What do you think?
    Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

I never run them. They seem really excessive. Never had an issue and my cars have been that way for many years. YMMV.
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Working...
    X