Odometer woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odometer woes

So my 92 convertible with 87,000 or so miles suddenly had the odometer stop working. I noticed when I filled up and got 2 miles per gallon. :-)

I just assumed it was the gears, so I ordered new gears without even taking the cluster out. When I got the gears and dis-assembled the cluster, none of the gears looked damaged at all. Everything moved freely.

I went ahead and replaced them anyway, and re-installed the cluster. My odometer still isn't moving. Everything else works, speedo, tach.

Any ideas? The SI board seemed to smell of something burnt, but it seems to be working too.

John

Originally posted by Quincy56 View Post
    So my 92 convertible with 87,000 or so miles suddenly had the odometer stop working. I noticed when I filled up and got 2 miles per gallon. :-)

I just assumed it was the gears, so I ordered new gears without even taking the cluster out. When I got the gears and dis-assembled the cluster, none of the gears looked damaged at all. Everything moved freely.

I went ahead and replaced them anyway, and re-installed the cluster. My odometer still isn't moving. Everything else works, speedo, tach.

Any ideas? The SI board seemed to smell of something burnt, but it seems to be working too.

John

Take the gears apart and do it again , something isn’t right.

Comment

Cracks on the electrical traces of the circuit board are very common, especially VDO.

Also changing your odometer gears with new does not always fix it, there is much more to it. The whole assembly needs to be cleaned because the odo motor can get dirty and stuck, if the gears are installed backward (very easily) it will not work and if the gears are not a good brand, they can be warped or not produced right.
      Owner - Bavarian Restoration
      BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
      www.BavRest.com
      My Feedback Thread
      Our Facebook!
      Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Working...
      X