Srange issue with speedo, wipers and turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Srange issue with speedo, wipers and turn signals

This site has helped me with other issues, so I'm back again. In this case, I've been getting an intermittent issue with my wipers, turn signals and speedometer. Are they connected? As I am driving, intermittently the wipers will stop working and the speedometer will cut out. Other times, I will turn on the turn signal and the wipers and speedometer will cut out and the turn signal will quit and the relay will buzz. Sometimes they will come back as soon as I turn off the turn signal, other times not so soon. Additionally, this will also intermittently happen when I step on the brakes (also the radio will cut out when I step on the brakes then come back on) The Check panel will flash that the brake lights are out, but they're still working. I couldn't find anything regarding these issues researching the Si board(sometimes the tach quits and comes back on separately from the speedometer, and sometimes they both will quit then come back) am I experiencing a ground issue? Need help!

perhaps it's just a ghost.
    try burning some sage.

sent from hell using Tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '90 325i sedan daily driven
    '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

I'm with you on a ground issue. Start with the battery and make sure the connection to the frame is clean and tight. Then the engine grounds. Finally, there appears to be a significant ground collection that mounts to the steering column, again, make sure that is clean and tight.

Any after market alarms or other devices installed?
      2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

I would start by replacing any fuses related to those circuits. The cluster itself has fuse 10, 12 and 21. Those should all be replaced. Using old but good fuses can cause intermittent failures exactly like you are experiencing.
        Owner - Bavarian Restoration
        BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
        www.BavRest.com
        My Feedback Thread
        Our Facebook!
        Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Thanks for the replies...

I'll try cleaning the grounds with a wire brush and making sure they're tight. I'll replace/update all my fuses as some look like they are original to the car. I plan on replacing my Si board anyway. And finally Ill get a Voodoo priestess to do a dance around the car for me while burning some sage. If anyone can think of anything else to try, let me know.

Comment

Sounds like it could potentially be a faulty ignition switch, do you ever have to cycle the key more than once to get it started?

Comment

Working...
            X