No announcement yet.

Lightened flywheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interesting. Seemed the common consenus was somewhere around 18 pounds, i wonder how the guys that shaved theirs and got all these lower numbers attained them consistently.

Comment

Trent sells an 8lbs one.
      he'll probably chime in soon
      BattleWagon|1996 GT Vertigo

Comment

I think trent sells the same one Turner does

E30 325i 1987-91 Lightweight Flywheel
        Part #: 520060
        Applications: 1987 - 1991 325i (E30)
        Flywheel weight: 8 LBS. Stock flywheel is 16 LBS.
        Price: $399.95

Comment

BUT CHAPEL YOU BROKE THE BUBBLE. We are modifying factory parts and hoping to spend under 200 bucks. I am trying to find my 323 flywheel right now so I can weigh it.

w

LOOKS GREAT JORDAN.

some more information.
          metric mechanic says 12 pounds @$250.00 (as low as 8 with a 215 320 flywheel)
          Tep says 14 pounds @$160.00

Comment

Ill spend the extra 150 for a brand new aluminum 8lbs one.

Comment

I just got back from the machine shop, and my flywheel is home.

13lbs, $90.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
              https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

purrrrrrrdy!
                Below the radar...

Comment

solidworks?

is that a solidworks file? are you willing to share it?
                  I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to replicate your feat.

Comment

Jordan,
                    what kind of place did u take it to, and what did u say to them. "hey, here is my flywheel, lighten it." or did u give them the plans and waht u wanted it to look like and stuff?

im fairly interested in doing that. 90$ is a DEAL.
                    98 M3/4/5

Comment

The parts modeling, and mass calculations were all done in Autodesk Inventor R5.3

Solidworks is shit, used it, hated it, threw it away.

No, sorry, I won't be "sharing" a $5000 software suite.
                      EDIT: Sorry, misread your post. No the file is not open to use.

I brought the 3D cross-sections, and detailed dimentioned parts drawings to the shop, and said lathe it down. Their job was easy, and they commented on it. They wish more customers showed them EXACTLY what they wanted done.

It was just a normal machine shop, and shop with a large lathe can do this work.

Here is a sliced cross-section. The red shows material that was removed.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

not the package. the file for the flywheel

I just would like to have the flywheel file, not the whole autodesk package.
                        Autodesk makes shit, I used it, hated it, threw it away. ....to each his own. I can design products pretty fast in solidworks. We just got 2004 last week, and I as IT guy get to install it on a gazillion desktops next weekend. yay.
                        butbackontopic:

I am interested in a dxf or iges or stl or parasolid file. It's evidently not too complex of a machining job, I just think that your model is cool. Thanks--

Comment

Good job dude. missing my target by only a pound was great. I think you broke your model by 5 pounds. My flywheel said 18 pounds on the bathroom scale. Don't know how accurate that is but it is a 323 flywheel and the teeth for the starter seem different location compared to yours (teeth vs mass of wheel)
                          w

Comment

See that wasnt so bad...not that im going to say anything else about that 5k software program...it WOULD be a great file of somesort to put in the archives for anyone else who wanted to do it. looks cake Jordan

Comment

Working...
                            X