ok i dont like this noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok i dont like this noise

ok well for a long while now ive had a ticking noise coming from somewhere up front. it NOT valve noise, i can hear that too but thats not of concern.

so heres what i know
    -the noise comes under load at least like 3/4 throttle
    -its not really loud but its noticeable
    -its not the PS pump cause it still does it without it hooked up
    -i dont think its the alt cause ive listened to it and it sounds good
    -im HOPING that its a clutch/tranny related problem, cause im gettin ready to replace them but i doubt thats it
    -doesnt matter what gear youre in, can do it with clutch depressed (unsure about neutral
    -ive tried to hear it with the hood open just reving by hand but the engine is too loud to even hear it with the hood up

any ideas would be nice, i really hope its not something mad serious, i havent been able to really drive my car hard for like 4 months, have been getting good mileage though
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

bad injector?
    how old are the cap and rotor? I had a suburu once where the rotor arm broke and was hitting the interior of the cap and clicking.

just guessing here.

Comment

How about your waterpump? They can make all sorts of noises when they are going out.

Comment

cap rotor are about 20k
        waterpump maybe 30k
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Engine ping ?

Comment

Fan clutch?

Comment

fan clutch is not in i guess it could be pinging but the temp needle doesnt ever go much past 1/4 could be a bad sensor though, ill throw the fan back in and see if anything changes, ill be ordering a new tstat today

Comment

put the fan back on and the guage isnt lying and its not a bad sensor, i let it idle until the needle hit halfway then drove it around and it nearly immediately went back down to 1/4, it even dropped below 1/4 for a little bit
                and i always run 93
                so i think pinging is out

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                  How about your waterpump? They can make all sorts of noises when they are going out.
                  +1 I'd put my money on the H2O pump.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
                  When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's £3.95 per minute.
                  "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson"
                  Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Comment

damnit i just had that thing out like 6k miles ago
                    NOT ANOTHER T BELT AHHHHHH!!!

edit:last time i had a water pump go out it sounded like a squirrel was chillin under my hood

Comment

anyone else have anything to chime in on this?

Comment

you can change your waterpump without touching the timing belt..
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

turn up the stereo.

eventually the problem part will make itself known.

saves the troubleshooting and replacing unnecessary parts.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

Originally posted by LINUS View Post
                            turn up the stereo.

eventually the problem part will make itself known.

saves the troubleshooting and replacing unnecessary parts.
                            Crude, but effective.

Every day I wake up we drink a lot of coffee and watch the CNN
                            Every day I wake up to a bowl of clover honey and let the locusts fly in.
                            Lobsterbacks attack the town again
                            Wrap all my things in aluminum
                            Beams of darkness streak across the sky
                            Pink rays from the ancient satellite
                            Every time I look out my window same three dogs looking back at me.
                            Every time I open my windows cranes fly in to terrorize me.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              you can change your waterpump without touching the timing belt..
                              thank jesus

and thats not my cup o tea the whole wait and see thing, i prefer to not wait till my water pump (if thats the prob) breaks and im stranded on the side of the highway

Comment

Working...
                              X