HVAC fan not tunring off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HVAC fan not tunring off

Help. I'm at home for the weekend, and it's cold, so of course I'm running the defrost. But when I turned the key off, the fan does not stop. I fear that it is stuck on and my battery will wear down because that is what someone told me would happen. I have to turn the knob to "0" and then it will stop, but I would ratehr have it be so I just turn the car off and I am cool.

Has anyone else experienced this at an earlier point in time? Or anyone have an idea of why this is happening.

please helpp

It happened in my car, a few off and on turns of the key (from off into first click) and it shut it down. I'm assuming a stuck relay, problem isn't limited to this car, a buddy had a Taurus beater this happened with too.

I no longer have 1 2 and 3 of my blower intensity after this happened, only 4 works, i haven't traced why, been too cold.

Comment

Originally posted by O 16581 72452 5 View Post
      I no longer have 1 2 and 3 of my blower intensity after this happened, only 4 works, i haven't traced why, been too cold.
      Sorry this doesn't help you lance, but O 165...

You have a blown resistor pack. Part number 19 in the diagram. Replace or maybe clean it and you should be set.

Full page of parts.

Comment

I'm not even sure what i'm looking at in that diagram, appears it may be the actual blower motor?

Comment

I'm not even sure what i'm looking at in that diagram, appears it may be the actual blower motor?
          I guess it doesn't matter, you're banned now!

But for anyone else that is wondering, it in the blower-motor area.

Comment

It happened in my car, a few off and on turns of the key (from off into first click) and it shut it down. I'm assuming a stuck relay, problem isn't limited to this car, a buddy had a Taurus beater this happened with too.

oh yeah, well my 1,2,3 also stopped working a while ago, but it didn't really affect me. Is that a step towards the HVAC fan continously running, or just another failed or dirty peice of electrical wiring??

The relays are under the hood right? Is there one for the HVAC that maybe got screwed up and I can just replace? OR WHAT IS GOING ON?!??!

p.s. Banned boy advice did not work

thanks for anyone who can aid me

Comment

you're fucked dude.

just part it out.
              Current Cars
              2014 M235i
              2009 R56 Cooper S
              1998 M3
              1997 M3

Comment

The 1-2-3 blower motor intensity is probably not related to the fan not turning off. Sounds like you have two separate issues here. The resistor pack controls the different speeds of the fan by altering the resistance in the circuit. When it stops working correctly, you only get fan speed 4 and 0 (usually 0, in your case not). If you replace it you should get back the 1-2-3 settings.

It is located in the center of the firewall behind the intake manifold. You pop off the two nuts holding the wires to the firewall, unscrew the 4 bolts holding the cover on, and remove the cover. You will see it sitting below the blower motor.

Comment

alright, sounds good, but that wasn't really a huge concern.

having the fan not shut off with the car is more than just inconvienant. It could leave me stranded if I forget to turn the knob to "0". I'm going back after the Bears game to school, so if anyone has something for me to try before then, let me know. Or actually, afterwards too and I can just order parts and get to it later.

thanks

Comment

have you fixed it? most likely it's a bad relay. I went through this same issue after my 5 speed swap. I used some bad wiring instructions for the tranny wiring and it shorted something out, and fried one of my relays. my fan was also stuck on when I turned off the key.. I tested everything else with no luck, and ended up swapping the relays that control the HVAC motor with a spare and that ended up being the problem. otherwise it could be a short, but relays are much easier to check.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I hadn't, but was thinking the problem was along those lines. Your post encouraged me to go outside after finding a little more info (actual relay location) and do it.

Had a spare in my glovebox after replacing a good fuel pump one I thought may have been a past running issue, and it turns off when the ignition is off. score.

Comment

sweet :)
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post
                          I hadn't, but was thinking the problem was along those lines. Your post encouraged me to go outside after finding a little more info (actual relay location) and do it.

Had a spare in my glovebox after replacing a good fuel pump one I thought may have been a past running issue, and it turns off when the ignition is off. score.
                          Sorry to dig up an old thread but this is happening to me right now and the site is no longer working. Anyone know which relays to replace and where it is located?

Comment

I'm not sure... it's been a while. But there should be a diagram somewhere online or in a bentley, if not an owner's guide.

Comment

Do you remember if it was one of the relays in the fuse box in the engine bay by the driver side strut tower?

Comment

Working...
                              X