m20 grounding points.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m20 grounding points.

So i know off these 2. The one that is connected to the hood and the one that is on the drivers side to the left off the oil pan that is connected to the chassi. Is there any other ground points in the motor that i should know about? Becuase im going to replace all the grounds.

The Main ground on the shock tower on the Pass. Side.
    :: PNW Crew ::
    '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

got that one any others?

Comment

damn man I have the same problem, on my car when I bought it, it had one ramdom cable from the chassis to the transmission (it was cut)but I am trying to find out if that one is original or not

Comment

Originally posted by e30m20beast View Post
          damn man I have the same problem, on my car when I bought it, it had one ramdom cable from the chassis to the transmission (it was cut)but I am trying to find out if that one is original or not
          that wouldn't have been origional
          1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

there is the ground to the oil pan/subframe, passenger shock tower, and maybe the starter?

you don't probably need the hood ground, I think that was a little overkill on the part of bmw. my hood isn't made of metal, how the hell do you ground that?
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

CF hood nando?

Dont the grounds "ground" different circuits making them all necessary?
              sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

for the most part, yes, but what circuit is there in the hood? it just seems odd, especially since the hood is bolted to the body anyway.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  for the most part, yes, but what circuit is there in the hood? it just seems odd, especially since the hood is bolted to the body anyway.
                  some e30 hoods, like mine, have heated windshield nozzles, so there is some circuitry there.

however, the official bmw reason for the hood ground strap is RF interference for the radio as seen in the ETK.
                  90 E30 325i

Comment

yeah, that's pretty much what I thought, but it's still bolted to the car. can you say overkill? :p
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      yeah, that's pretty much what I thought, but it's still bolted to the car. can you say overkill? :p
                      yeah pretty much overkill. i guess there is paint inbetween the bolted parts which reduce the conductivity, but yeah, overkill for the most part.
                      90 E30 325i

Comment

Has anyone ever heard (nando??).. of grounding the stereo amp to a nail and dropping the nail down between the dash and firewall? This is supposed to prevent 60cycle interference from "humming" in the speakers.

Does that work?? Any ideas??
                        sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

you would want to ask luke (stereoinstaller) about that. I don't know shit about stereos. I have a $100 blaupunkt MP3/CD player and the stock speakers. most of the time it's turned off. :p
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

is there any page or something like that that tells you all the grounding points of the car? I am having big problems with grounding all around the car ( windows won't go down, radio won't work and a bunch of other things.

Comment

Originally posted by txtorquemade View Post
                              Has anyone ever heard (nando??).. of grounding the stereo amp to a nail and dropping the nail down between the dash and firewall? This is supposed to prevent 60cycle interference from "humming" in the speakers.

Does that work?? Any ideas??
                              And the nail is dangling behind your dash? Sounds like your just introducing a "nail swinging behind my dash" hum.
                              I'd ground the stereo equipment better, this nail "trick" is one of the best things I've heard in the stereo world :P

Comment

Working...
                              X