anyone with an m50 run a fan clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone with an m50 run a fan clutch?

What fan clutch are you using, and what radiator are you using (e30 or e36)
    I have m42, m20 and m50/2 radiators to choose from. I know that the clearance is tight, but it looks like there is enough room. Will the m20 fan shroud also fit? That would be neat, and stock-like
    Are you running AC? Did you adapt the ends of your lines or use the lines from a 318is? (318is AC system will bolt directly to m50 AC compressor)

most importantly:
    Did your tach crap out on you, on a friend's car and a car that I just s50-ized, the tach worked only the first two times, if that, after the car was fired up... did you run a wire from c101 into the car? We have done no such wiring

thanks guys
    -Bryson

I am thinking about going to an electric puller fan, as the other day when it was 85 degrees here in April. The car got hot not over the center line too much but enough to say hey I'm warm.

I need real guages, hate the factory units. Hell my old VW had 3 common use VDO guages in a 15k car compared to our 25k car with no guages.

I have a Z3 radiator so the shroud doesn't fit, and I am not running AC but I have the condensor still in place so I am able to use the fan on that forcooling purposes.
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Bryson, how sold are you on the stock fan? I have been running with an electric pusher, late M20 rad, and an 80 deg therm with no problems. Most of the time I don't even need to run the fan (manually switched for now) and it usually sits a bit below the mid-point on the gauge (even sitting in rush hour traffic on the 15!).

Comment

Where did you all get your electric fans? Did you just get a generic one and make brackets or one specific for the E30?

Thanks,
        -Alex Shiroma

88' ///M [awaiting S50]
        86' 325e [RIP]

Comment

Look into Spal brand fans. I know a few people that got 'em their cars and they seem satisfied with the results.

Jon
          Rides...
          1991 325i - sold :(
          2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Originally posted by JasonH
            Bryson, how sold are you on the stock fan? I have been running with an electric pusher, late M20 rad, and an 80 deg therm with no problems. Most of the time I don't even need to run the fan (manually switched for now) and it usually sits a bit below the mid-point on the gauge (even sitting in rush hour traffic on the 15!).
            Jason, Tyler's car heats up mighty quick without a fan, overheats in fact. but it fucking HAULS
            also, both of us are retaining AC eventually, so we can't put a fan in front
            if you want to make a custom tranny bracket, i can bring tyler's car this weekend to test it on... he beats the shit out of it, so he would be a great guinea pig

our tach still doesn't work, after removing the instrument cluster and re-soldering all of the connections on the vertical board. damnit, i hope mine works :?
            edit: no blown fuses either

Comment

Originally posted by Bryson
              if you want to make a custom tranny bracket, i can bring tyler's car this weekend to test it on... he beats the shit out of it, so he would be a great guinea pig
              Bringing it up would be a great idea. I wouldn't mind beating the shit out of it too.... :twisted:
              Don't forget the good things Hitler did.

Comment

...if you want to make a custom tranny bracket, i can bring tyler's car this weekend to test it on... he beats the shit out of it, so he would be a great guinea pig
                Not a bad idea, but I REALLY need to get mine going. It can't wait any longer. If I need to start cutting into the sheet metal to make everything fit, we should use Tyler's car first.

...our tach still doesn't work, after removing the instrument cluster and re-soldering all of the connections on the vertical board. damnit, i hope mine works
                edit: no blown fuses either
                We need to figure out what we are overlooking with the wiring. I was actually going to check out my board this weekend, but since you already ruled that out... Sometime else is obviously going on. Let's talk about this further this weekend.

Also...what does Tyler want to do about the DME? He owes me beer (good shit) for rent to this point. Now I want unmarked, non-sequential bills. 8)

Comment

let's check the horizontal boards and maybe even the coding plugs when we meet up.. you guys free on saturday or sunday?

anybody else here have a tach problem with their m50?? wtf

Comment

Working...
                  X