What is this part?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this part?

I am having trouble figuring out what this part is. It is the part with the copper circle on it attached to the air box (top left of the picture below). I know there is supposed to be a cap for it but I don't know where it is. I checked the Bently manual and I'm still at a loss. There is nothing inside the airbox where it is mounted. Any Ideas?

The lower radiator hose got severed and it covered the whole engine bay with coolant so I am worried that it is fried, whatever it is. Thanks :)!

Edit: It is from an 86 325es, should have mentioned that above.

Last edited by briz; 07-26-2007, 04:25 PM.

I believe it's the manifold pressure sensor, part #13621286679. If you look on real oem under fuel injection it's the control unit L-jetronic diagram. They are about $110 at BMA.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeP View Post
      I believe it's the manifold pressure sensor, part #13621286679. If you look on real oem under fuel injection it's the control unit L-jetronic diagram. They are about $110 at BMA.

Close .

First off , e30's do NOT have MAP sensors .
      Its a barometric pressure sensor , it tells the ECU to go rich or lean on the fuel settings .

Some will say its an altitude reader , sorta close too .
      Although its tru altitude does have an affect on barometric presure its not the only determining factor .

Most guys will run without it or unplug it and won't have aby issues .
      Probably the case with 95% of the cars out there .
      But if you live in a higher altitude area then you might want to leave it plugged in or replace it because it could affect driveability .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Barometric Pressure Sensor

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
        First off , e30's do NOT have MAP sensors .
        Its a barometric pressure sensor , it tells the ECU to go rich or lean on the fuel settings .Some will say its an altitude reader , sorta close too .
        Although its tru altitude does have an affect on barometric presure its not the only determining factor .Most guys will run without it or unplug it and won't have aby issues .Probably the case with 95% of the cars out there .
        But if you live in a higher altitude area then you might want to leave it plugged in or replace it because it could affect driveability .
        Look i know most of you know way more then myself when it comes to these cars, HOWEVER, I dont car what anyone says, My 1984 318i bmw has a Barometric Pressure Sensor and when you look it up online, it WILL ALSO come up as MAP Sensor, try typing in 1984 318i MAP Sensor, and i swear to you its the same part....

Now ive heard a million times over that you can disconnect this part and the car will run fine. Mine is missing (taken off when i bought it originally by original owner) and my car WILL NOT STAY RUNNING.!? You name a test, and ive already done it, and am about to do it all over again. I even found this wiring diagram (not found in Chilton/Haynes books) to make sure i have continuity (essentially checks to make sure wires are not broken and signal is going through to the other side)

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Every test those 2 books tell me to run have passed with flying colors and and the car WILL start and turn over due to the cold air intake. however, she will shut off immediately. If the barometric pressure sensor is supposed to determine how much air/fuel mixture should be in the Throttle Butterfly, i really cant understand how all of you (i've heard it more then once from many people) are saying that its not an important part!? just look at the wiring diagram above...its clearly states that a signal from the Fuel Pump Relay AND Barometric Pressure Sensor goes into the Fuel Injectors and to the Injection Control Module

maybe on the later e30 its notan important part, but 1 thing i'm 100% for sure of is that the 1984/1985 318i bmw is completely different from just about every other e30...hell even the air intake from 1984 to 1985 is a different set up, and completely different on the 1986 325.

Comment

Newbie, this thread is over 3 years old.

Why the hell would you bump a 3 year old thread as your FIRST goddamn post?

First, you have an M10, the other guys are discussing an M20. Totally different engine management systems... and no one cares about M10s.

Now, why don't you go wash your car, clean it up as nice and pretty as you can, take a bunch of pictures and make an introduction thread?

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

because when you look stuff up online to attempt to receive help on restoring a nice car, you take what you can get. and since this thread pertained to what i was having trouble with, i used it....and if commenting on a 3yr old is taboo, then why in the hell did you bother commenting in the first place? So how about instead of being a douche, try and give some actual advice, because for all you know, one of them any actually know something about the m10 (no shit it sucks, not everyone can have mommy and daddy buy them a faster, nicer bmw)
            ill use any forum i can and want to find advice on how to fix my car,

Comment

Heh,

"installer" is one of the most helpful members here, mess with him and we will all hunt you down...be warned!

Oh...Welcome to R3V!
              Suspension tips here...
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Attitude like that and I am the douche?

Now go wash your car and take the pictures like I told you to.

Become a member first and THEN beg for help.

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Last edited by tiger318i; 04-26-2010, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by briz View Post
                    I am having trouble figuring out what this part is. It is the part with the copper circle on it attached to the air box (top left of the picture below). I know there is supposed to be a cap for it but I don't know where it is. I checked the Bently manual and I'm still at a loss. There is nothing inside the airbox where it is mounted. Any Ideas?

The lower radiator hose got severed and it covered the whole engine bay with coolant so I am worried that it is fried, whatever it is. Thanks :)!

Edit: It is from an 86 325es, should have mentioned that above.

Motor mounts ?????
                    sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

This thread may be old but it is still relavent. My old BMW has a sensor, located to the left of
                      The drivers left leg just above the hood release. It has an electrical plug
                      Containing 3 contacts. It also has a vacuum line connected to it. The newer Bosch parts
                      That seem to have the same discription and part number
                      Crossed to it, however it does not have a vacuum connection.

I suspect that the one with a vacuum connection is a map sensor the ones
                      Without are altitude sensors.

In other words they are not the same part.

Comment

In about 4 years, I'm gonna have to sign up again so I, too, can have the glory that is bumping this thread.

The atmospheric pressure sensor doesn't have a vacuum connection- the diaphragm is
                        sealed, and it measures absolute pressure relative to whatever reference is built into it.

The eta parts car had one, and I took the cover off for fun. Then I stared at it
                        for hours until I saw Smokey Yunick...

t
                        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

"Product Note: Acts as an input to the ECU to correct fuel delivery in response to changing atmosperic pressure."
                          sigpic
                          Reich und Roll!

Comment

With all of this talk about thread bumping... Here goes!

I was wondering if anyone knows how to test one of these barometric pressure sensors. Mine is missing it's cover and is completely covered in dust from the road. I want to clean it and test it but I just simply don't know what will hurt it and what I should do to test it.

I also can't find it in the Bentley manual, anyone have an idea of how to test it?

Comment

The resistance between pins 1 and 2 changes with atmospheric pressure fluctuations, but if the cap is gone, your sensor is toast.

Comment

Working...
                              X