clunking noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clunking noise

Need help diagnosing a problem, I searched but couldn't find anything. A week ago my car started making some rubbing noise from the right rear of the car. Now its progressed into more of a clunking noise, but its only noticeable when I have the car idling in 1st. It seems to be matching RPM's. Is this an axle problem, a bearing, or something else? I can only notice this at low speeds, that is it's not getting louder at higher speeds.

TIA,
    Jordan
    sigpic

when the car is parked. grab one side of the tire and see if you can bobble it back and forth. If so, its a bad wheel bearing. id bet either wheel bearing or brakes.

Comment

Ok, tried moving the wheel while parked, stiff no slop whatsoever....How would I test to determine if its the brakes, driveshaft, or axle??
      sigpic

Comment

Throwout bearing?
        '89 325i track sloot
        '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Originally posted by whiltebeitel View Post
          Throwout bearing?
          LOL
          ** Lot's of M20 turbo parts for sale.**

Turn key track car.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=222066

Comment

Whole clutch assembly was replaced 5k ago....
            sigpic

Comment

Dunno if this means anything at all but my gas mileage has been down a bit on the last two tanks...when the problem started. But to me that could be b/c of brakes or a bad axle, or diff. I'm lost here guys and really don't want to go grab my ankles at the local shop.
              sigpic

Comment

wheel bearing as stated above, happened to me twice, and i have a bad one now :(

Comment

Id put it up in the air and take stuff apart. Sometimes just taking it apart and putting it back together either fixes stuff or shows whats wrong. Its speed dependent so take apart what moves on that side. Id start with the brakes though.

Honestly, vibrations are caused by massive weight being off. Im still willing to bet its your wheel bearing. Put it in the air and try wobbling the wheel again.

Comment

Center support bearing? When those go out, they go in a hurry and progress fast and faster.

I have a really bad trailing arm bushing on my drivers side rear that makes rubbing and clunky noises. Check that

Comment

Originally posted by jdaigner View Post
                      Now its progressed into more of a clunking noise, but its only noticeable when I have the car idling in 1st. It seems to be matching RPM's. Is this an axle problem, a bearing, or something else? I can only notice this at low speeds, that is it's not getting louder at higher speeds.
                      If it is doing it at idle, and i'm guessing it is standing still, it is not a wheel bearing. Also if it does not get louder at higher speeds, I'd think that it is not a wheel bearing.

Does it make it when shifting or all the time? With it matching RMPs i'd think driveshaft, clutch, axel.
                      Originally posted by KingB
                      Scratch my back and I buy a prostitute for you, to rub your balls. HAHA now thats some funny shit.

Comment

idling in first gear rolling....I'm going to get it up on a lift tonight and let you all know if I have any more problems.....
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shiboujin View Post
                          when the car is parked. grab one side of the tire and see if you can bobble it back and forth. If so, its a bad wheel bearing. id bet either wheel bearing or brakes.

Jack it up first, then shake tire. Sounding like a wheel bearing to me. Just for sh*ts and giggles check your shock mounts too.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
                          When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's £3.95 per minute.
                          "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson"
                          Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Comment

I jacked it up, and no noise whatsoever w/ the car running tires spinning in the air. The axles are fine, no slop, no tears on the cv boots. The shock mounts do look a bit questionable, so I think thats the next step. I'll keep y'all posted.
                            sigpic

Comment

Now i'm going to try after getting some sleep (48 hours/0 sleep)

What kind of wheels/tires are you running?

Could your exhaust be rubbing something?
                              '89 325i track sloot
                              '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Working...
                              X