Stupid spark plugs - need assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid spark plugs - need assistance

So, I pulled the plugs out of the new(ish) car finally and was happy to find decent looking wear. No big problems to be seen. I did notice that the top (non-electrode side) was just the small screw and didnt have the metal screw on plug doohickey.

Sure enough, I unbox my super w8lcr's and find they don't fit in the boot either with the screw on tops. Is this normal? Should I unscrew the top and do what the P.O. did and plug them in with just the threaded post? Seems backasswards.

In other news, the bentley says w8lcr's should be gapped to .7mm (.028"), they're pregapped to .8mm(.032")

Glad I busted out the feeler gauges and checked. I found many a post saying use the super's pregapped, but that's a decent difference from the book value. Any reason to run them higher at the gap that came on the plugs?

take the tops off - BMW spark plug wires are meant for the smaller threadded part.

you can get away with wider spark plug gaps - you would know if it was too wide if you were getting bad misses at high loads/RPM. .32 is pretty good for an N/A M20.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

thanks man

Comment

Working...
      X