wiring battery to trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiring battery to trunk

Ok guys so I have some time this weekend to myself. How difficult is it to do this? Does anyone have instructions?
    Continuous For Sale Thread
    323i s50

I just pulled the battery cable from the engine to the trunk because I sold it so somebody could convert. I took pictures of the process, I can upload them for you if you want.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

yeah that would be righteous! email them to me @ cmouton@as39.navy.mil or bimmer_323i@yahoo.com
      Continuous For Sale Thread
      323i s50

Comment

It's easy, you need the battery cable, starter cable, ground strap, and the distrubution block. There should be little spots molded into the body to drill the holes for the distrubution block. Make sure the spot in your trunk is large enough to hold a battery I went threw all the work on my 84 318i then looked back there and there was no room for the battery.
        85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

It's easy, you need the battery cable, starter cable, ground strap, and the distrubution block. There should be little spots molded into the body to drill the holes for the distrubution block. Make sure the spot in your trunk is large enough to hold a battery I went threw all the work on my 84 318i then looked back there and there was no room for the battery.
          I just did this to my 85 318 about 2 weeks ago. I have a 84 325e thats now a parts car so I pulled everything off of it to convert. I had the same problem with the battery too, but I was lucky enough to have the battery from the 325e which was still good and it fits the same as it did in the other car.

Comment

my 85 318i worked fine but the 84 318i had a narrower space back there. So I tossed the battery into the spair tire well and zipped tyed it in place.

Comment

Can this be done on a 325ic?

I have a '92 325ic and would like to relocate my battery to the trunk and then relocate my oil filter to where the battery used to be.

I believe there is a 40 lb weight in the right rear of the trunk on convertibles for weight distribution purposes. Would the battery fit where the 40 lb weight currently sits?

I apologize if i'm "jacking" your thread, but thought any response might help answer the original question.

Thanks,

Jon

Comment

Re: Can this be done on a 325ic?

Originally posted by Jon '92 325ic

I have a '92 325ic and would like to relocate my battery to the trunk and then relocate my oil filter to where the battery used to be.

I believe there is a 40 lb weight in the right rear of the trunk on convertibles for weight distribution purposes. Would the battery fit where the 40 lb weight currently sits?

I apologize if i'm "jacking" your thread, but thought any response might help answer the original question.

Thanks,

Jon
                I'd like to know to. Fellow cabrio driver who wants a little more knowledge.
                Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

I don't see why not as long as the spot back there is wide enough for the battery. It's not hard to do at all on the reg e30's and cleans up the engine bay a ton.

Comment

Go to a OEM parts place and order a "kit" for the M3, everything should bolt right up and be OEM fit and finish.

Other then that it's really easy, just one wire on the starter solonoid and a good ground in the trunk.

Comment

Here is a little Write up I did.
                      Before you start make sure you car dosn't have the narrow slot in the trunk (shown by the redline in the pic)

Relocation of the Battery From the Engine bay to the trunk.

Items needed:
                      All From an E30 with the battery in the trunk
                      -Battery cable
                      -Heavy gauge cable running to the Starter (your cable will probably be to short, on both my swaps I had to change the cable)
                      -Battery distribution block that mounts to the passenger firewall
                      -Ground strap for the battery
                      -Battery tray and Acid collector
                      -Battery cover
                      -17mm socket
                      -10mm box wrench
                      -13mm sockets
                      -Flat head screw driver
                      -Philips screwdriver
                      -Hammer
                      -Drill
                      -7mm drill bit
                      -Allen wrenches
                      Process
                      -First remove the 4 17mm bolts/nuts holding the passenger seat in and remove the seat
                      -Remove the rear seat bottom cushion by pulling firmly straight up on each corner
                      -Undo the 2 17mm bolts holding the seat belt slider bar in place the second bolt is hidden behind the rear interior panel (2 door models)
                      -Pry up the rear clip on the trip piece that covers the edge of the carpet and the lower section of the door gasket, and then pull firmly straight back sliding it off the rest of the clips
                      -Pull back the edge of the carpet
                      -Remove or peel back your front speaker kick panels
                      -Now in the trunk start fishing the non battery end of the cable threw the small opening in the lower right hand corner of the trunk only push threw about 4-6 inch then go back to the interior and guide the cable under and around the metal bar running under the rear seat.

-Now from the interior pull the cable threw the opening and slowly guide it behind and under the carpet, if possible pry open the clips holding the factory wiring and push the cable into them.

-Once you get the cable pulled threw far enough go to the engine bay.
                      -Pry up the passenger side Cowl vent
                      -Remove your old battery and ground strap
                      -Look very closely on the firewall for two small dimples in the body (both cars I did the conversion on had these dimples).

-Drill a hole with the 7mm bit at each of these dimples
                      -Line up the Distribution block and slide threw the two long Allen bolts
                      -From inside the cowl vent thread on and tighten the 10mm nuts

-Looking towards the passenger fender underneath where the ac lines enter the vehicle you should see a small domed shaped perforated section in the body. Using the flat head screwdriver and the hammer chisel this piece out.

-Now take the battery cable and thread it up and behind the glove box threw this hole(you may need to remove the glove box)
                      -Clamp the end of the battery cable into the dist.box so that the Metal end is exposed on the far right side.
                      -Now remove the 13mm nut holding the large gauge cable to the starter and replace the cable with one a longer cable.
                      -Use the clamp on the end of this new cable and clamp it onto the metal exposed end of the cable running to the trunk, and fold down the plastic cover and snap it into place that covers the clamp
                      -Back at the trunk drop the Battery tray and acid collector into the open spot in the passenger rear cable
                      -Install the new grounding cable for the battery a good spot to ground to is the 13mm nut that holds the bumper shock to the body
                      -Install your battery into the battery tray and tighten the hold down clamps
                      -Using a Philips screw driver remove the lower screw that holds the gas tank door actuator in place (you may have to peel back the little tab in the trunk carpet)
                      -Place the battery cover over the battery and use the screw you just removed to hold the battery cover to the body.
                      -Now reinstall everything you just removed
                      -Make sure to clean where you old battery sat to get rid of any old battery acid.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the write up. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                        X