ignition wiring help plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ignition wiring help plz

i read on www.the12volt.com that the switched 12v was a green wire.. so i cut spliced and sodered the 12v switch from the green wire under the steering column to my megasquirt.... now something is draining the battery. everything else works fine, the car idles liek a dream....

im thinking this could be the culprit, after all the internet is sometimes wrong. anyone have any wiring schematics, or if you used a 12v switch for something where did you run it to?

thanks

jam
    Originally posted by Mr Watsonsilver
    driving boards?

you can use the green wire (pin 36 on motronic, from main relay pin 85) but you have to convert the main relay to switch on with the key, instead of being turned on by motronic. Motronic has constant power - MS doesn't. it sounds like you either hooked it to the wrong wire, or you left out the step of modifying the main relay.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

it has to be the megasquirt that is draining the battery... it never did this before...

how do i modify the main relay?
      driving boards?

Comment

first you need to verify you hooked it up to the correct wire. there is more than one green wire in the 55 pin motronic harness if I remember correctly.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          first you need to verify you hooked it up to the correct wire. there is more than one green wire in the 55 pin motronic harness if I remember correctly.
          i ran it from the harness under the steering column, and the ms turns on, the car runs great ect..... it just has a battery drain of epic proportions ie a fully charged battery will die within ~5 min of shutting it off...
          driving boards?

Comment

pull the main relay out after shutting off the car. If the battery still drains it's not megasquirt. I doubt the megasquirt computer could pull that much power also. Also you ran from the green wire to pin 86 of the main relay correct?
            85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Working...
            X