Car jerks in between 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car jerks in between 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd

My car jerks when I shift from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd, although it jerks more from 1-2.
    Is this a problem that is present in my car, or is this just jungle-really-sucks-at-driving-and-should-be-shot-ultranoobzor?

I don't have the problem between 3 and 4 and 4 and 5 so I don't think it's because I'm shifting wrong...
    1985 325e
    mods:
    Powerflex CABs
    MOMO Corse Exhaust
    euro bumpers with BBS front spoiler
    e36 m3 shifter
    uuc clutch stop

well assuming you can shift well on another car, or this car before then it very well could be subframe bushings, tranny mounts, or even engine mounts. The subframes are the easist to tell, when they get really bad feels like the rear of the car is moving around.
    SM 19 - Serial Destroyer of Cars
    Turbo '89 325i - It lives! Now the question is for how long?
    2SlowRcing.com

Comment

spark plugs?
      IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
        spark plugs?
        ??? where would you pull that from when the issue is obviously torque transfer not engine power delivery.
        2SlowRcing.com

Comment

Is it upshifting or downshifting? I highly suspect it is either driver error or a hanging cluch based on all of the other e30's I've driven. Mine is a little bad between 1 and 2 because of the gear spacing and the synchos are shot. The higher gears aren't as likely to suffer from jerkiness if this is the cause because the engine's rotational momentum isn't amplified by the gearing.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

It happens when I upshift.
            AND
            I figure it's not really a problem with the shifting. It happens within 2nd gear when I let go of the gas and gas it again. the jerking that is. It jerks slightly when I do the same in 3rd, but not too much.

my clutch has just been done, so I don't think there's a problem with the clutch.

Could it be the engine mounts?
            I can see the engine visibly jerking inside the bay when I pull on the gas.
            1985 325e
            mods:
            Powerflex CABs
            MOMO Corse Exhaust
            euro bumpers with BBS front spoiler
            e36 m3 shifter
            uuc clutch stop

Comment

Originally posted by rsafier View Post
              ??? where would you pull that from when the issue is obviously torque transfer not engine power delivery.
              I had this issue...the spark plugs and wires were pretty old and I didn't realize the p/o hadn't changed them in a while.

The car would jerk really hard unless I was REALLY smooth on the throttle.

Comment

I had this issue...the spark plugs and wires were pretty old and I didn't realize the p/o hadn't changed them in a while.

The car would jerk really hard unless I was REALLY smooth on the throttle.
                Yeah if your seeing the engine move engine to notice your tranny and engine mounts are probably quite weak, perhaps one or two even broken. Engine mounts especially can be delaminated and until the other one brakes you don't notice visually unless your really looking hard. Both are easy to fix. Plus judging that your saying even just on-off throttle is doing it you have a good chance those are your issues.
                Get some IE Polys to put in, and never have to worry about replacing them again. Don't worry they don't add any real vibration if installed properly (some people torque down the tranny mounts too firm and this causes a buzz).
                2SlowRcing.com

Comment

Yeah if your seeing the engine move engine to notice your tranny and engine mounts are probably quite weak, perhaps one or two even broken. Engine mounts especially can be delaminated and until the other one brakes you don't notice visually unless your really looking hard. Both are easy to fix. Plus judging that your saying even just on-off throttle is doing it you have a good chance those are your issues.
                  Get some IE Polys to put in, and never have to worry about replacing them again. Don't worry they don't add any real vibration if installed properly (some people torque down the tranny mounts too firm and this causes a buzz).
                  Dude I fixed this a long long long time ago...

I replaced all of the bushings on this car since :)

Comment

sounds like a lean surge to me
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Dude I fixed this a long long long time ago...

I replaced all of the bushings on this car since :)
                      Sorry was not trying to quote you, was replying to the post before by the guy that was origionally asking the question (mikejungle). He started he could see engine moving.
                      2SlowRcing.com

Comment

Sorry was not trying to quote you, was replying to the post before by the guy that was origionally asking the question (mikejungle). He started he could see engine moving.
                        whoops!

hopefully the stuff you mentioned will be more helpful than what I said.

Comment

Drive shaft U-joints, happened to me before just 1st thru 2nd gear then kindda smooth after that.

Comment

check...
                            engine mounts, guibo, trans mounts

Comment

Working...
                            X