Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing my Guibo and CSB this weekend, any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
    Yes, otherwise the drive shaft may vibrate as its balanced together as a whole.

Also some CSB's do not need to be installed and preloaded, all of the ones that I buy have plenty of flex either direction and preloading would only damage them, so inspect the bearing after purchase to find out which one you have.
    Hmm, interesting. I bought the "aftermarket" one from BMA. Patrick told me that both the premium and aftermarket use the same bearings.

Does that tell you anything?
    Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

I had my car on 4 jackstands and it was 1.5-2 feet in the air for a year. I would be underneath with two friends in the car. It was NOT falling over! I could shake the thing like mad, and it would barely budge.

I am not careful at all. I've worked on my car in a shirt, shorts and barefoot. I've even stuck my head underneath when only my jack was holding it up (definitely not something I'd do unless I absolutely had to!). Ya, I know it's stupid. But, I do what I gotta do when my resources are limited. :p
      - Sean Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Groupie View Post
        I have never known of it happening, but I know it does happen.
        This is funny. :)

Good advice on this thread, and great first post by Mr. Mister. Safety first!

Tim

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats
        MTech2 wheel | Husco Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003
        | Shadowline | Amber Fogs | Too much else to list

Comment

Just remember though, it would be nearly imposible for 2 jack stands to fail at the same time. And the car will balance just fine on 3, so even if one spontaneously colapses, you're ok.

I think there is too much paranoia about this, jack stands are pretty damn safe. I know people were kind of freaked by that story a few months ago about the guy who got trapped under a car at the pick-a-part, but remember that car was being held up by nothing but a couple of junk steel wheels (standing on edge, mind you) stuck randomly around the car.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
            Just remember though, it would be nearly imposible for 2 jack stands to fail at the same time. And the car will balance just fine on 3, so even if one spontaneously colapses, you're ok.

I think there is too much paranoia about this, jack stands are pretty damn safe. I know people were kind of freaked by that story a few months ago about the guy who got trapped under a car at the pick-a-part, but remember that car was being held up by nothing but a couple of junk steel wheels (standing on edge, mind you) stuck randomly around the car.
            Yea, actually, there's been times when I could remove one of my jackstands because the car's weight was only resting on the other three. lol - Course, I didn't!
            - Sean Hayes

Comment

If you are worried about using 4 jackstands, use ramps on one end of the car.

I can actually back mine onto a pair of ramps, but it is easier to just jack the thing and drop it on ramps.

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                If you are worried about using 4 jackstands, use ramps on one end of the car.

I can actually back mine onto a pair of ramps, but it is easier to just jack the thing and drop it on ramps.

That is an excellent idea! Thanks for that!
                Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

resurrecting this thread for a question: is there any way to remove the driveshaft when there is a vibration dampner other than shifting the tranny forward? I was having no luck getting it out (those guibo nuts are impossible to get to with the dampner in the way) and just gave up as I was pulling the motor and tranny out anyways. I would like to be able to put the motor/tranny back in without having to worry about lining the driveshaft up as I do it. thx

Comment

Originally posted by FrankM E30 View Post
                    Make sure you install the center bearing facing the correct direction.. and forward-preload it when you reinstall the driveshaft
                    Sorry to bump an old thread but which way is the correct direction?

Comment

Originally posted by elemenohpee View Post
                      Sorry to bump an old thread but which way is the correct direction?
                      Look on the outside of the flex disc. You'll see some small arrows raised in the rubber - the arrows should point to the flange it's mounting to.
                      - Sean Hayes

Comment

Working...
                      X