New to E30 325is What OIL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post
    Syn is probably better, but it likes to leak out a lot more than conventional in my M20.
    +12333334242452523523462346236234623
    Originally posted by e30e
    lose the old man bmwcca badge.

Comment

My car actually leaks far more on conventional than syn :loco:

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post
        Syn is probably better, but it likes to leak out a lot more than conventional in my M20.
        Another intratubes myth.

Comment

This was a very interesting thread, read it word for word and I'm still not sure if I'm filling her up with 20-50 Castrol. I bought the stuff from reading other posts as I'm about to start I found this thread but still not sure.

So NY 20-30 is not the way to go considering this will be my fall-winter oil change. If 20-50 is good for 15 degrees maybe I'm ok as I will not be using my e30 if its that cold.
          sigpic
          WTB-Strut Bar

Comment

I like Mobile 1 0w-40, hard to find sometimes though.
            Crossfire + Pole + Isaac Newton's freakin self = sigpic

Comment

ran gtx 20-50, switched to mobil 1 and run 10-40

Comment

Originally posted by Aerton View Post
                This was a very interesting thread, read it word for word and I'm still not sure if I'm filling her up with 20-50 Castrol. I bought the stuff from reading other posts as I'm about to start I found this thread but still not sure.

So NY 20-30 is not the way to go considering this will be my fall-winter oil change. If 20-50 is good for 15 degrees maybe I'm ok as I will not be using my e30 if its that cold.
                I'd still run 10W-40, just in case you have to start it up on a cold morning.

Comment

Yea, I ended up using 5-30 from my previous readings, and now I bought 20-50 as stated. I was curious so I just poured it in this afternoon I will take it out for a ride in a bit. But I will do a winter change to 10-40 later.
                  sigpic
                  WTB-Strut Bar

Comment

Originally posted by lordofthewaters View Post
                    +1 for summer

For you I'd go 10w40 or 30 for winter, but of course I'm not really well versed on NY winters.........

not even the oil company will recommend 10-40 any more.

they sell it because people buy it.

too great an additive load to maintain hot viscosity on top of the thin base stock. 20-50 starts with a heavier base stock.

in my SAAB and MG, 10-40 runs 10-15psi LESS pressure than 20-50 or even 15-40 (get that with half 10-30 and half 20-50)

for my 93 SAAB I use 15-50 Mobil 1, the 84 325e BMW 20-50 Castrol with ZDDP additive or VR1, 73 MGB same as the bimmer, 92 Olds, 15-40 l(half andf half 10-30/20-50). It seldome getrs below 30 degrees here.

Lost a TR4 engine using 10-30 in -40 degrees in upper NYS one winter 45 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Molbius View Post
                      I like Mobile 1 0w-40, hard to find sometimes though.
                      you all need to go thru this and pay special attemtion to what the guy from zen said.

if you use that in a m20 it will smoke the cams

Comment

I generally run 20w50 Mobile 1 all year round - never had any problems with cold starts or pressure. I don't beat on it cold either.

when my motor was stock though, I ran Castrol GTX 10-30 most of the year, going up to 10w40 during the hotter parts. I tried 20w50 in it once and pretty much drained it out immediately, the poor thing would barely run cold. maybe it works for the guys who never see temperatures below 70 degrees, but not up here..
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Castrol Racing R40........oh yeah guess what I have a bunch for sale too! Lucky you ;)

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
                          ~ John Adams ~

Comment

German engineers Know what there doing

it has nothing to do with modern oils and how much better they work M20 take 20w-50 in warmer weather such as above 50 F and 10w-40 in the winters. i dont care how much better the oils are now adays, oil weights are oil weights. listen to the engineers who built the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by RIGGSMAGOO View Post
                              it has nothing to do with modern oils and how much better they work M20 take 20w-50 in warmer weather such as above 50 F and 10w-40 in the winters. i dont care how much better the oils are now adays, oil weights are oil weights. listen to the engineers who built the motor.

.....Or the ones who work at BMW. Or the ones who produce the oil preferred by BMW. They both recommend Mobil 1 0W-40 for this car with this engine with over 100kmi. It goes both ways. I think we should all just use what we like and stop arguing about it. How many of us have really used an oil, then had the oil pressure drop to 10psi and all the mains seize up?

Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by RIGGSMAGOO View Post
                                you registered just to bump up a 7 year old thread to post this?

gee, thanks! :p
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X