No announcement yet.

Wheel spacers required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I don't know why I thought that, I must have read something on a similar web site. My bad.
    Actually you're partially correct - Tire Rack will not sell you wheels with the wrong offset for your car if they don't have that wheel listed for your particular car. If say you tell them you have a 88 325i but the wheel you want isn't shown for a 325i but is shown for a Volkswagen and you try to buy those with the intent of using your own spacers they will not sell you the wheels. It's about liability and warranty issues, not to mention if you don't know what you're doing and you still can't get the wheels to fit and want to return them you're SOL because they won't take them back if they're mis-applied. All the wheels they sell for a particular car have been tested and known to fit so they'll know if you bought them for the wrong car if you try to return them for not fitting.

All the wheels that they do sell for the car either fit directly, or come with the special spacers that are supplied by the wheel maker (like BBS, Mille Miglia, etc).
    Randy Walters

2021 Mazda 3 Sedan Premium AWD
    1988 325is (w/89 bumpers, recently sold)
    1989 325is (Broadsided long ago RIP)
    1996 328is (Sold to Matt J)
    2003 530i Sport (Spare car now)
    2005 X3 (little woman's car)
    Driving Instructor BMW CCA L.A. & S.D. Chapters
    Multiple L.A. & S.D. Region SCCA Autocross Championships

Comment

Interesting... when I ordered wheels for my friend Jarvis, I specifically told them that the wheels weren't listed for is e30 and that we would be using spacers. They were pretty cool with it. Then again, I was ordering through a wholesale account so maybe they didn't care.
      Thanks for the clarification, though
      '91 318is
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brew
        Interesting... when I ordered wheels for my friend Jarvis, I specifically told them that the wheels weren't listed for is e30 and that we would be using spacers. They were pretty cool with it. Then again, I was ordering through a wholesale account so maybe they didn't care.
        Thanks for the clarification, though
        ...and I seriously wish I hadn't done that.
        Wheel spacers are a considerable pain in the ass for some applications. Avoid spacers unless it's absolutely necessary. I wouldn't use spacers again in the future unless someone else had run the EXACT offset/wheel/tire/spacer combo with 100% problem-free results.

Comment

Working...
        X