Best Place to get my ECU scanned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Place to get my ECU scanned?

My check engine light came on and the car has a slight loss in power and is getting 4-6 MPG less. Where would be the best and cheapest place to get the ECU scanned for error codes? I have a feeling its an O2 sensor thats pooped out on me.
    Alpine 86' 325 - Eibach Pro-kit(ftl), Millie Miglias, Ansa exhuast, US eilpsod's W/ HIDs, IS valence, More to come..

White Suzuki LTR450

do a search for "stomp test", you can usually check the codes yourself. Most places that have the generic scan tools (Autozone, Pep Boys, etc) aren't gonna work on your E30. You can buy a code reader that fits the round diagnostic plug and do it yourself, but it's cheaper to do the stomp test first and see what you find.

Bret

Comment

Comment

My car is an 86 so i guess no stomp test for me. Would my local BMW dealership do it for cheap(probably a dumb question).
        Alpine 86' 325 - Eibach Pro-kit(ftl), Millie Miglias, Ansa exhuast, US eilpsod's W/ HIDs, IS valence, More to come..

White Suzuki LTR450

Comment

Originally posted by CodyLtr View Post
          My car is an 86 so i guess no stomp test for me. Would my local BMW dealership do it for cheap(probably a dumb question).
          They'd probably charge you 1 hour, and I think the hourly rate around here is ~$100.

So, if you think it's the O2 sensor, just replace it- it probably needs to be replaced anyway and you'll save the diagnostic fee.

Comment

honestly I'd be surprised if the dealership would even do it. All the old guys who know these cars are long gone - if they even have the tools for it anymore they're probably buried where nobody wants to get them out.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

our snap-on modus has a round connector that fits e30's. check your local fix-em shops

Comment

86 325's in stock form do not have a check engine light

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
                  86 325's in stock form do not have a check engine light
                  nor do they have a "reset" if it were a 153 ECU.

So, yeah, go remove the ECu from your car and post the numbers...the last 3 anyways. Nothing before the 173 has "stomp" reset.

Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

But if it really is just a 325 (eta) it won't have a 153 or 173, and won't do the stomp test anyway. But did they produce base etas in 86? I know they did in 87...........

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
                    When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's £3.95 per minute.
                    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson"
                    Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofthewaters View Post
                      But if it really is just a 325 (eta) it won't have a 153 or 173, and won't do the stomp test anyway. But did they produce base etas in 86? I know they did in 87...........
                      my car is (was) a base 86 325

The 86/87 ETA's should have an 027 Motronic 1.0 ECU

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
                        The 86/87 ETA's should have an 027 Motronic 1.0 ECU
                        Doesn't that one basically "Auto-reset", as in fix the issue and the light will stay off?

Closing SOON!
                        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
                        X