Engineers / smart people of r3v, are my flywheel bolts too short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engineers / smart people of r3v, are my flywheel bolts too short

well i bought a never used jb flywheel from a guy and he did not have the bolts. Im thinking that it probably came with special bolts because i dont think the stock ones are quite long enough for this flywheel the first pic is the stock flywheel and the second is JB. Remember that the threads in the crank do not start right at the face. I have also emailed JB but im guessing they wont sell me shit without a complete rebuild of the flywheel. (this was the case until the guy i bought it from found the ring for the bolts)

I'm 99 percent certain that the jb racing flywheel I brought came with bolts that were the same size as the ones that I removed.

Let me see if I can find a pic.

-Nick

Comment

just counter sink the bolts into the flywheel.

Comment

Originally posted by kowalski View Post
        just counter sink the bolts into the flywheel.
        Pff, why even bother with that? Just coat the mounting surface with Elmer's white glue and slap on :D
        cars beep boop

Comment

I don't know how many of those threads will be caught, but you need at least 3 threads to get 90% of the clamping. In other words, put some loctite on them and you should be fine.

Comment

yeah jb wants 50 bucks for theres and they are not even 12.9
            Last edited by e304me; 09-03-2008, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Why not go to the hardware store and buy longer bolts?

I suppose the heads are flatter then normal. Would regular bolts stick out too far?

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                Why not go to the hardware store and buy longer bolts?

I suppose the heads are flatter then normal. Would regular bolts stick out too far?
                Gaaahhhh. NEVER do this. Get the right bolts, get them from BMW.

BMW is way smarter than the hardware store!

Comment

Dude. They are bolts. The simplest part on the entire car. If you are worried about them shearing, get grade 8's and call it a day. The only issue is if the thinner heads are actually needed or not.

Comment

Dude. They are bolts. The simplest part on the entire car. If you are worried about them shearing, get grade 8's and call it a day. The only issue is if the thinner heads are actually needed or not.
                    they are bolts yes, they are coated specially, shorter heads and yellow loctite on the ends of them, and they may be stretchers im not sure there. i wouldnt trust any vital part of my engine to any old bolt.

In these pictures did you use the spacer that goes btw the bolts and the flywheel? does the jb fly rquire its use?
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

You have plenty of thread on there to handle the shear load. Not to mention, you have 8 bolts.

Those bolts must be at least grade 5, which means it can handle a shitload of shear forces.
                      Recent Rebranding!!
                      Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
                      E30 SM62/S62
                      E30 M60 V8
                      E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
                      Instagram.com/garageaholic
                      Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Thats not shear, thats a bearing stress for how far 'sunk' the bolts are into the crank.

Shear = [2 x torque x bolt diameter from center] / [Number of bolts x Bolt area]

that dosent take into account factors of safety, which would be a muliplier.

dont remember bearing off the top of my head

In short, buy the proper studs from the dealer or vendor. Not hardware bits
                        Last edited by Hick; 09-04-2008, 10:31 AM.

Originally posted by vlad
                        Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

as a ex-mechanic in an acid refinery, for steel we had to have 5 threads engaged in the opposite fastener, bolt-n-nut, or stud & 2 nuts. You had to have 1 thread exposed through the fastener if it was a stainless application. Generally that meant ~8 threads in a nut, and then the exposed.

Motorcycle dealerships are a good resource for hardware if you can get in good enough to rummage their bolt bins. Swing arms/suspension use a lot of good size, high grade hardware.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

What? NO. This is not true at all.

There is a TON of engineering behind almost every nut, bolt, stud and washer that BMW puts on your car.

Plus, grade 8 is an SAE standard, and doesn't even apply to metric bolts. Those are either 10.9 or 12.9, both of which are stronger than grade 8!

And for god's sake torque them properly.

Comment

flywheel bolts rank right up there with rod bolts, main bearing bolts and head bolts. don't fuck around - just get the right hardware. I know i've seen threads where people have sheared/broken the flywheel bolts because of improper hardware or not torquing them right. unless you really enjoy pulling your transmission to redo something as "simple" as 8 bolts..
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X