Swapping injectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping injectors

I'm going to be swapping the stock injectors in my 90 325is, and would like to know how this procedure is accomplished. I have looked over the engine compartment and notice that the injectors are in a small space between the intake and valve cover. can this be done without removing the intake? looks tough to get at otherwise.

Also, I would like to add a rising rate fuel pressure regulator while i'm in there, what is a good one to get my hands on and where can it be gotten? I'm getting little hesitation when the car hasn't fully warmed up and I have heard that the injectors could be dirty(i had some 19# before this started happening anyway) and the fuel pressure regulator could be going out. I would like to upgrade that rather than buy a stock piece.

much thanks in advance.

matt

yes you can do it. taking off the valve cover gives you more room (cover it with a rag or something so shit doesn't fall inside). you have to depressurize your fuel lines unless you want to spray gas everywhere, this can be done by removing the fuel pump relay and then starting the car.

as far as getting the rail off, there's a couple bolts and then you just pry it off.. be sure to clean the area where the injectors are but don't let any crud fall inside (it'll end up inside your head).
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

easiest way to remove injectors:

1)remove all fuel lines etc etc from fuel rail.

2)disconnect big round connector for injector harness

3) pry up on electrical injectors rail and they will all pop off at once pretty much, pry up on fuel rail untill all the injectors pop out of the manifold

4) remove the injector clips from the far right 2 injectors and far right two injectors, and remove them. They are the easiest to get too

with those out you can slide the entire fuel rail out with the middle two injectors still in.

when installing, install the middle two injectors first, install fuel rail, then do everything else.

ive done this at l;east 7 or 8 times now, so it is pretty quick

Comment

any pics of this stuff?

Comment

I have been trying to reinstall my fuel rail, and I am having trouble doing it. one side fits on fine and the bolts right on, the other side doesnt, I took it off and sighted down it to see if its straight and it looks fine to me but it wont just bolt back up and I dont want leaky injectors because of my fuel rail. Any one have a strategy for installing the fuel rail?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657387

Comment

nefarious,

I've had the same experience with two different intakes. I found the only waty was to just start the first three bolts so that there's lots of slack then just be real careful getting that last one started keepin' the rail's frame far away from the intake. The angle of attack is jsut off when cold. Maybe that's designed to compensate for heating? Just BE CAREFUL. That steal bolt will strip the (blank) out of those aluminum threads.
            Let's go exploring!

Comment

Originally posted by BCMike
              nefarious,

I've had the same experience with two different intakes. I found the only waty was to just start the first three bolts so that there's lots of slack then just be real careful getting that last one started keepin' the rail's frame far away from the intake. The angle of attack is jsut off when cold. Maybe that's designed to compensate for heating? Just BE CAREFUL. That steal bolt will strip the (blank) out of those aluminum threads.
              Thanks I will get on that tomarrow morning, your engine bay looks nice and I like the M oil cap its a nice touch.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657387

Comment

Working...
              X