Coolant Leak...Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant Leak...Help!!!

I was driving home from work tonight, and realized that my car was overheating. I pulled over, opened the hood and coolant is all over the place on the reservoir side and no coolant was in the tank. I got her home slowly, got it in the garage to see what the problem was.

I clean all the coolant mess and put water in the reservoir and started it up again. I got it up to temperature and it maintained to be cool the entire time I had the engine on. I notice the only leak was coming behind my driver's side wheel, right underneath by the lollipop.

I was thinking it might be the heater core since it is cold as balls outside and I have been running the heater, but there is no leak inside the cabin.

Any ideas what it is? My waterpump is brand freaking new, fan clutch is good, radiatior is good, and no leaks anywhere else other than behind the driver's side wheel.

Much help would be GREAT!!!

~Mitch

89 Alpine White e30 325i

Heater core. Check the sides of your HVAC box for leaks, but normally coolant leaks out the weep holes on the top sides of the trans tunnel. In your case it's probably dripping down behind the insulation/heat shield and ending up behind the wheel.
    89 325is track project / 05 x5 / 99 M3
    E30 stuff for sale | Parts I'm looking for

Comment

I had a leak recently where there was a puddle on the inside of the driver wheel. It was the T-shaped heater hose ($60 at bavauto). Unfortunately there are quite a few hoses running around in that area that carry coolant. Wipe all the coolant off of everything then run the engine and look for the leak. A bright light and mirror is very helpful btw.

1988 325iC Project - FINISHED!
      Build Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ht=325iC+paint

Comment

Possible the the coolant outlet on the back of the cylinder head? I hope that isn't the case, should be a blast to replace. IIRC, the only way to actually get coolant into the car is if the heater valve fails/leaks, everything else appears to be sealed up in that area.

Comment

Well, I went out and tested a few other things, and the freaking car doesn't leak at all anymore. I have been driving it around all day and nothing. I think there was an air bubble in the cooling system when I changed the water pump last. Does that sound legit?

89 Alpine White e30 325i

Comment

Originally posted by themitchster359 View Post
            Well, I went out and tested a few other things, and the freaking car doesn't leak at all anymore. I have been driving it around all day and nothing. I think there was an air bubble in the cooling system when I changed the water pump last. Does that sound legit?
            Possibly... If it's not bled right the pump could have cavitation and it'll overheat blowing all the coolant out past the cap.

Comment

Yea, I think that is what happened. The car is running great since i put new coolant and re-bleed the system.

89 Alpine White e30 325i

Comment

Your leak behind the wheel was the overflow tube. I thought I was leaking but it was just overflowing out that tube that ends up there. A Curtis

Comment

Make sure you are not leaking from the throttle body. It will leak from the gasket there and is hard to detect.

Comment

Working...
                  X