Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo problem....please help!!!

Hello from Paros island Greece

My E30 M40 M52b25 has speedo problemand with speedo of cource the economymeter and the distance meter since both get from speedo
    I doesnt work or show less than real
    BUT when i full the tank and for 10-20km it works fine and shows real speed...also ecometer and distance work fine after tank full....but after 10-20 dead again.
    Any help???

Comment

Replacing E30 Speedometer head

Hello everyone, I am currently seeking to replace the speedometer head only from my 1985 325e. I have found one from a 1989 325i and I was wondering if it would still be compatible despite coming from a newer model E30? Does anyone know if using a newer model speedometer head on an older model works??

Comment

it won't fit yours. you have the older style board and the pins for the speedo are different

Comment

Hello everybody. I hope you are well in this complicated period.
          While restoring my 1983 e30 there is a problem that seems impossible to solve: the speedometer (and odo) does not work. I state that the rest of the cluster works perfectly (even the lights of the board), the tachometer etc.

From home, I carried out a bench test. I manually wired the connectors of the C2 (white) to see if I could trigger the speedo. With a wave generator I sent the signal to the pin 12, I wired the pin 8 and everything else, following the BMW manual. Result: the tachometer works perfectly! I then disconnected all the cables except the + 12v on pin 13, the signal at the pin 12 and -5v on the pin 8. Even in this case the tachometer works perfectly.

Now, the problem is that when i mount the cluster on the car, it still dosnt work. I checked the fuses, checked the voltages on all the pins and also the grounds and I also replaced the differential sensor and checked that the signal reaches the pins from the wires on the diff. Again no solution!! Dead!!

I then took the pin 12 (where runs the signal) and the pin 8 (negative -5v) and I connected it from outside to the signal generator. Again, nothing. The only try I will do tomorrow is to try to connect from the external even the pin 13..... Anyway, are there ghosts on my car or did I miss some steps?

Thank you so much to those who will answer

Comment

You may want to reach out to these folks. http://www.bavrest.com/index.html
            2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

For anyone interested, my 86 325e VDO tach was not responsive. I tested it in a motometer cluster that worked, so I knew the issue was related to the odometer. None of the solder joints looked cracked. I also noticed that the odometer board can wiggle slightly when removed. When the odometer is installed, it tightens down but I bet hard bumps may cause it to move, thus stressing the solder joints. I went over all the solder joints on the board and the odometer came back to life. Give it this a shot before you throw it out.

Comment

Working...
              X