Gas leak..cause?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas leak..cause?

My 91 325 Vert was leaking gas right under the driver side of the chassis upon startup. Took it to my mechanic and he replaced the gas lines. But it still leaks. Once it warms up though, it stops leaking. Gonna take her back in but wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue and how it was resolved? Thanks!

Might be the tank itself.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

Could be the filter, hard lines, or any of the soft lines as they all run in that area, and you didn't specify front or rear.

There really shouldn't be a leak that gets better as the car warms up unless you have a massive EVAP/purge valve issue.

Comment

Look at all the hoses going to or from the fuel filter. Wouldn't be surprised if the tank seam is rusty and leaking, considering the age of the car.
        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. It's on the driver's side towards the rear right in front of the rear wheel.
          And yeah, a few minutes around the block and the leak stops....wth.

As a side question, what kind of fuel are we supposed to use with the E30s? Unleaded, Unleaded Plus, or Super?

Comment

Take a good look around the fuel filter. It's right in front of the right rear wheel. Mine had a leak there as well.
            It uses regular unleaded. The M20 is a lower compression engine and doesn't need higher octane fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by treff-7 View Post
              Take a good look around the fuel filter. It's right in front of the right rear wheel. Mine had a leak there as well.
              It uses regular unleaded. The M20 is a lower compression engine and doesn't need higher octane fuel.
              Ok thanks, what actual part was leaking on yours?

Comment

One of the rubber hoses that connects the filter to the hard lines.

Comment

Originally posted by treff-7 View Post
                  One of the rubber hoses that connects the filter to the hard lines.
                  Ok..thank you! I'll have them checked that out.

Comment

Originally posted by spyder918 View Post

Ok..thank you! I'll have them checked that out.
                    You're welcome! I hope you find the problem!

Comment

Just an update in case anyone else has this issue. So after taking her back to my mechanic, he said he forgot a clamp on one of the lines. He placed it in and voila...no more leak!

Comment

Working...
                      X