Need help diagnosing window problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help diagnosing window problems

I have been having some problems with the window motor, i have taken it out and cleaned the inside, added some lubricant. Motor spins on bench, with 12 volts, spins both ways. When i plug into the car it will only go down. I have swapped some window switches around but cant get it to work. I have power at the rear window switch, but i dont seem to have power coming out when i try to go up. If this means anything, the light on the window switch goes out when i try and go up, but does not make any sounds.

Is this the classical switch symptom? I have inspected the wires in the b column, and the door, i cant find anything wrong or noticeably broken.

OK, looking at my 85 wiring diagrams, and you have a 4 door correct? Looks like the wiring goes from the console switch to the rear window switch.

Does one side of the car work? Front and back? If so, swap BOTH switches from right to left. See if that helps you. You may have one or both switches bad on one side.
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

I swapped all the switches introduced new ones and it still does the same thing? It's like it's not getting the reverse voltage to make the switch go down

Comment

Since the light goes out when you try to switch it up, it sounds like you are experiencing a loss of voltage due to a short. I would double check the door jamb connection, those can often get oxidation or brittle broken wires. I recommend checking for the reverse polarity operation at the motor while connected in the door, that will tell you which wire is broken. Then trace that wire down using the ETM.
        Owner - Bavarian Restoration
        BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
        www.BavRest.com
        My Feedback Thread
        Our Facebook!
        Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Alright I will dig deeper, I can test the voltage at the b pillar with nothing connected further down I assume?

Comment

Two hours of ripping apart window switches and diagnosing this led to multiple destroyed wires in the rubber grommet... I should have got the hint when 6 window switches didn't work. Power was getting to the switches but the black and yellow wire did not have continuity. Testing each wire at the door pillar to the rear switch is when it clicked..
            glad that is fixed but the window now wont go down on the rear switch, but goes down and up at the center console so I am more than happy.

Comment

Working...
            X