E30 front subframe (chassis rail)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 front subframe (chassis rail)

Post moved from general discussion (admins, mods - apologies)

Hi Guys,

i am a new member, so if i missed this post somewhere (although i was looking for it), please forgive me.
    I need your support with some parts of the frame rail.
    I've put my car on the rotisserie and tried to remove to front subframe (the bolts were heated), 2 our of 4 broke off instantly. I used an impact gun set to low.
    So, anyways, two three hours of drilling and snapping the easy out, managed to remove this bastard. now, im trying to get the information on how does this bracket/weldnut look like and which material (type of steel)
    I don't want to cut mine until i get a new set (both sides will be replaced).
    Same goes for the control arm lollipop mounts, one bolt broke off, but manager to weld a nut and undo the bolt.i will also be replacing these, both sides.
    So please gents, post pics, dimensions etc. and sorry for my bad english...

thanks in advance

anyone?

Comment

You may want to just try chasing them with a tap to clean them up. Replacing these welded in nuts would require a lot of work.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Andrew.
        the main issue is that the threads are gone, i mean, there's not enough sidewall left to put next size tap. as an original, the bolt is M10x1.5, the next available size is M12. that is why im trying to get some pictures of the item itself.

anyways, as said before, i would like to avoid cutting the car as it is on the rotisserie for the time being. and will only cut once i have the parts fabricated...

Comment

It's a bit of work but I would suspect that for the lolipop bush threaded sleeves, one would use a cutting torch to cut out a section out of the side of the rail to replace the inserts or cut out the rail section containing the inserts and re weld in a replacement.

Comment

7pilot - my least worry is to cut the rail or the lollipop, i had no intention of cutting the car apart before having the parts ready... as said before, i would like to see if anyone has already done that part and took photos, measurements etc. in order for me to have the part ready to replace immediately after cutting. anyways, on Saturday, i will be spending some time with the angle grinder and some cutting discs... i will post updates... thanks everyone

Comment

As promised... Once and for all, for everyone to know, the subframe weldnuts are just nuts welded to the chassis rail. Also took the opportunity to cut and see the lollipop weldnuts inside the chassis rail. Once I manage to get this out, I'll take some measurements and upload a drawing of it, if anyone would find it useful.
              Cheers

Comment

crazy. was this car kept submerged or something?

Comment

Not really, this isn't all rust, like 85% is dirt and dust.. If you'd cut yours, you would probably find the similar situation...

Comment

Working...
                  X