Alpina Guage Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpina Guage Issues

So, I have an Alpina gauge pod in my E30. It all works except for oil temp, and I'm wondering if the temp was ever actually connected. First photo is what I assume is my oil pressure sender. Is the 3rd plug simply an idiot light? Or may this have pressure and temperature on same sender? Other photos are of the plug coming from the Alpina Gauge, but I can't find any similar plugs, has anyone seen this type of plug before? Maybe i need to purchase a temperature sender and somehow plum it in? When I short out that plug it reads 199deg.. so the gauge itself appears to work. Any ideas? Alpina has no real records or wiring diagrams for this type of thing. Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

What's the spade connector for on the sensor at the oil filter? I would think that one needs connecting too.
    There's a guy on Instagram (@hjonkman1) who has an original Alpina vent gauge in one of his E30's. (He helped another guy out who made a reproduction of these gauges) Unfortunatly the sensors are completely different, so can't help you.

edit: this is a picture I found on google, as you can see there are 3 sensors. Have a look around our engine bay. The two small sensors uses the same connector as you pictured.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	digi2.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	9893845
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
      What's the spade connector for on the sensor at the oil filter? I would think that one needs connecting too. There's a guy on Instagram (@hjonkman1) who has an original Alpina vent gauge in one of his E30's. (He helped another guy out who made a reproduction of these gauges) Unfortunatly the sensors are completely different, so can't help you. edit: this is a picture I found on google, as you can see there are 3 sensors. Have a look around our engine bay. The two small sensors uses the same connector as you pictured. Click image for larger version

Name:	digi2.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	9893845
      Yeah the spade is throwing me a bit as well, which is why i think it may be for a low pressure idiot light. The gauge definitely works and reads pressure correctly. That photo definitely shows a separate sender for oil temp, but no idea where on the block it would be screwed in, maybe the previous owner removed it or something. I cant ask him, he's dead. Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

This is probably not helpful, but that connector looks similar (if not the same) to the brake pad wear sensor connections.

Comment

On my Hartge H26 and Alpina B6 2.8 oil temp was connected to oil drain plug.
          I do have a Alpina vent gauge on my Alpina B6 3.5 clone.
          Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

I recommend checking the spade connector with a meter against the body of the gauge. If you find there is continuity between the body and the spade, that would indicate it is a ground connection. However, if your pressure gauge is working fine, then I highly doubt the pressure sender also has a temp thermister inside of it, ive never seen one that did. Most likely your thermister is not connected or missing. You may have to use a universal one and cross your fingers that output curve is the same. You may be able to tap into one of the other senders of the car, the one used for the gauge or DME, it may be a similar curve to the one supplied by Alpina.
            Owner - Bavarian Restoration
            BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
            www.BavRest.com
            My Feedback Thread
            Our Facebook!
            Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
              You may have to use a universal one and cross your fingers that output curve is the same. You may be able to tap into one of the other senders of the car, the one used for the gauge or DME, it may be a similar curve to the one supplied by Alpina.
              The Alpina guage is Oil Temp not coolant temp, do standard engines have a oil temp gauge/sender anywhere that I could even tap into? Might just have to try and find the correct sender. Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X