Another Front end clunk. Completely stumped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Front end clunk. Completely stumped

For the last few months I've been chasing a low speed passengers side clunk. I've been through this a few times before on my other E30's/E28's and could find the guilty part and replace, tighten, etc.
    I have hours searching and nothing is mentioned as a culprit that I haven't already checked.
    It's a 91 325i 4 door Auto
    New Strut insert (All washers accounted for and in correct order, collar nut tightened, and strut mount nut tight)
    New control arm with Delrin bushing
    New steering links.
    New sway bar end link
    New wheel bearing
    New strut mount
    New motor/tranny mounts
    Subframe is tight, no cracks
    Steering rack is tight

I've inspected every single nut and bolt having to do with the front end (both sides) and I am completely lost with this beotch.

Anyone have any ideas other than what i mentioned?

Thanks,
    G

Brakes?

Comment

I had a clunk that drove me nuts. I changed a bunch of parts to no avail. It turned out to be the front sway bar end link MOUNT (the metal U that attaches to the front control arm, not the endlink itself). Tighten that sucker down.

Comment

I've had it happen in two e30's now. Check the shock gland nut, they like to back off if the last guy didn't tighten it down enough. You can use a pipe wrench to grab onto the gland nut and tighten her down. Also if it's not the gland nut and your car has camber plates, the camber plates would be the next place I inspect.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
        1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
        1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
        1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
        1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
        1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
        Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
        1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
        1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

I had a clunk that drove me nuts. I changed a bunch of parts to no avail. It turned out to be the front sway bar end link MOUNT (the metal U that attaches to the front control arm, not the endlink itself). Tighten that sucker down.

Thanks, I will triple check them. Maybe order some new bushings even thought the old ones look OK.

I've had it happen in two e30's now. Check the shock gland nut, they like to back off if the last guy didn't tighten it down enough. You can use a pipe wrench to grab onto the gland nut and tighten her down. Also if it's not the gland nut and your car has camber plates, the camber plates would be the next place I inspect.

Yes, the gland nut (I called it a collar nut for some reason) was the first thing I checked as that has come loose on my track car a couple of times.

Even though I have all new parts, I'm really hoping something will just break so I can finally figure this shit out! lol

Comment

I had a clunk that turned out to be a loose caliper bracket bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
              ...It turned out to be the front sway bar end link MOUNT (the metal U that attaches to the front control arm, not the endlink itself)...
              This was the cause of my front knock noise.

Comment

I threw some sway bar mounts at this thing and still clunking. I am convinced it has to do with the steering rack. If I grab the steering coupler (input to the rack) I can turn it back and forth a tiny bit and can hear a small clunk both directions that seems to come from the rack itself. Tie rods are new and tight so the slack isn't from these. I visually inspected the steering guibo thing and the universal joints and all seemed to be tight and functioning correctly. So could this just be a worn out rack?

Comment

Jack the car up, take the key out and lock the wheel. Have a buddy grab a tire on each side and shake back and forth while you listen and watch the rack. There should be no play. It may help to pull the bellows off and watch the rack. Mine has vertical movement, the passenger rack bushing is shot.

Comment

Working...
                  X