Keyless push button start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyless push button start

Just got my 85' 325e and enjoying it. The owner before put in a key less push button start ignition into the cigarette lighter which I didn't mind. When I first checked it out the button was finicky but he rewired and made sure it worked. He installed three switches in that little cover next to the cigarette port that turn on fuel, accessories, and then what he said is the radio. I am going to get all of this wiring figured out and make sure it is correct but I was wondering, is there any reason why the key cannot be used anymore to start the car? When I try to use the key it just hums and whirrs. I know he did the wiring but I saw this was something a lot of people have done so just thought it's worth asking. Also, the wipers, and turn signals are able to be turned on when the "radio" switch is on. Shouldn't this be wired to the "accessory" switch or is that for stuff like the heat and AC? Thanks for any help.

Best find your wiring diagram here and trace what he changed from stock: http://www.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e30/

Sounds like he patched into the accessory and ignition wires in the column or under the dashboard.

Comment

Most likely your ignition switch needs to be replaced, that is the only reason to bypass it unless he thought it was cool to add all the switches. I would assume something is wrong with the ignition switch.
      Owner - Bavarian Restoration
      BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
      www.BavRest.com
      My Feedback Thread
      Our Facebook!
      Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
        Most likely your ignition switch needs to be replaced, that is the only reason to bypass it unless he thought it was cool to add all the switches. I would assume something is wrong with the ignition switch.
        The key was able to start it so I think he just wanted to the push button start. I'll have a look to see if he bypassed it.

Comment

Originally posted by rzmoser View Post
          Best find your wiring diagram here and trace what he changed from stock: http://www.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e30/

Sounds like he patched into the accessory and ignition wires in the column or under the dashboard.
          I'll have a look at my diagram to figure it out. Thank you

Comment

Working...
          X