Rusted Fuel/Brake Line brackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rusted Fuel/Brake Line brackets

Replacing fuel and brake lines in my 1988 cabrio. Almost all the screws holding the fuel/brake line brackets (16121155064) are rusted and seized. Anybody have any tips for getting the old screws out?

Locking pliers and a hammer. You'll probably break a few and have to drill them out.

Depending on the level of rust you might be able to use a broken/stripped bolt extractor tool as well.

Comment

Just went through this and about half the screws broke off. If the nipples that they screw into have not rusted away, you can file down the old screw so you have a flat surface, drill a new hole, tap it and use some non-factory stainless machine screws. I think I used 6-32 screws. It's a real PITA and I broke at least 4 taps. Thankfully I was able to get all the broken taps out except one. The nipple on that one got so buggered up that I had to drill a pilot hole all the way up through the floorboard and use a self-tapping screw.
      1992 325i Cabrio
      1988 320i Touring
      2000 M5
      1977 530i
      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
      BMWCCA
      E30CCA

Comment

thanks Roguetoaster and Mod Crazy - really appreciate it. You guys have given me some direction. Mod Crazy - looks like we are embarking down the same road. I have to replace all fuel and brake and lines and even the fuel tank. What a job. Love this car though.

Comment

Originally posted by CabrioFixer View Post
          thanks Roguetoaster and Mod Crazy - really appreciate it. You guys have given me some direction. Mod Crazy - looks like we are embarking down the same road. I have to replace all fuel and brake and lines and even the fuel tank. What a job. Love this car though.
          Yes - just finished all the same maintenance as part of a larger project. Thankfully my gas tank was ok. Just had it inspected and cleaned. Replaced the main hard fuel and brake lines. Fuel lines are available from BMW. Don't get the BMW brake lines. They are just kits with lengths of tubing and fittings. Use CuNiFer for the new brake lines. Much easier to work with than the coated steel from BMW. Feel free to PM me with questions as you get into the project.

Cory
          1992 325i Cabrio
          1988 320i Touring
          2000 M5
          1977 530i
          2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
          BMWCCA
          E30CCA

Comment

Working...
          X